Denise Williams and James Earl Corley are a Mother/Son team on The Amazing Race 27.
They started off the race strong, only falling below fourth once in the first five legs and being the first team to win a leg that was neither Tanner & Josh or Justin & Diana. After that win, however, they fell to the back of the pack when Denise struggled with the Detour in France and never quite resurfaced after that. After finishing Leg 9 just ahead of Tanner & Josh, the next leg saw them starting far behind the rest of the pack without an equalizer to catch up as James Earl struggled to untangle the balloon net at the Roadblock. Despite Logan & Chris getting U-Turned, they were not able to recover and were subsequently eliminated in 5th place.
Retrieved from CBS.com
- Age: 51
- Hometown: Prattville, Ala.
- Connection to your teammate: Mother
- Current occupation: Administrative Assistant
- Describe what you do: I help law enforcement agencies in the great state of Alabama get military surplus property.
- 3 words to describe you: Energetic, athletic and flirtatious.
- Favorite hobbies: Working out, watching Auburn football and watching movies.
- What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Raising the most wonderful son and getting a black belt in Taekwondo.
- What famous person reminds you of yourself? Julia Roberts.
- What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Doogie Howser, M.D.
- What scares you most about traveling? I am so afraid of losing my luggage but more importantly my lipstick.
- What excites you most about traveling? Traveling to other countries and seeing how people outside of America live. I love a new adventure!
- Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: He believes that I have a problem with him being gay. I want to prove to him that I don't.
- Pet peeve about your teammate: He is too picky about keeping his house clean and gets mad when someone "messes it up" even though I'm just using the restroom.
- What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I would love to go back to Japan. I had a great experience when I was living there and the people were terrific!
- What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope to show my son that I love him unconditionally
- Age: 26
- Hometown: Prattville, Ala.
- Connection to your teammate: Son
- Current occupation: Resident Physician
- Describe what you do: I am a brand new internal medicine resident who gets to take care of sick folks in the hospital.
- 3 words to describe you: Driven, compassionate and enthusiastic.
- Favorite hobbies: Running, baking and watching movies.
- What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I am most proud of being the head drum major for the Auburn University Marching Band - the highest level of student leadership and face of the program.
- What famous person reminds you of yourself? Jim Parsons.
- What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Kellie Pickler.
- What scares you most about traveling? Traveling to places that have harsh anti LGBT laws. I am not one to hide the fact that I am gay.
- What excites you most about traveling? Learning about the cultures of all the different people and places around the world.
- Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We both usually have brilliant ideas but do not always listen to each other. Hopefully, the race will force us to start hearing what the other has to say.
- Pet peeve about your teammate: She has no appreciation for quiet time. She will literally talk non-stop for hours!
- What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I would love to visit Rome, Italy to see all of the great architecture and art it has to offer.
- What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I am hoping we can reconnect and bond. After I came out, we were not on speaking terms for some time. We have started fixing this but hopefully the race will bring us closer together than ever.
The Amazing Race 27
|Denise & James Earl's Race History|
|1||1||United States → Brazil||Sand / Sidewalk||No Roadblock||4 of 11|
|2||2||Brazil → Argentina||Cartoneros / Fleteros||James Earl||3 of 10|
|3||3||Argentina||Horse / Carriage||James Earl||6 of 9|||
|4||4||Argentina → Zambia → Zimbabwe||Co-Op / Croquet||Denise||3 of 8|
|5||5||Zimbabwe||Crocs / Canoes||James Earl||1 of 8ϵ|||
|6||6||Zimbabwe → France||Drops Mic / Bust a Crab||Denise||7 of 7|||
|7||7||France → The Netherlands||Ship / Skip||Denise||6 of 7|
|8||8||The Netherlands → Poland||Mine / Music||James Earl||3 of 6|
|9||9||Poland → India||Cans / Candy||Denise||5 of 6|
|10||10||India||Bring the Groom / Bring the Fun||James Earl||5 of 5|
Denise & James Earl initially arrived 5th, but received a 30-minute penalty due to Denise verbally helping James Earl at the Roadblock. Logan & Chris checked in during this time, dropping them to 6th
Denise & James Earl used their Express Pass to bypass the Crocs Detour option on Leg 5.
Leg 6 featured two Roadblocks. The team member who sat out the first Roadblock was required to perform the second one.
Leg 6 had no mandatory rest period between legs, and all teams were ordered to continue racing. Denise & James Earl did not have to face a Speed Bump during Leg 7, despite coming in last during Leg 6.
|The Amazing Race 27 Teams|