Dennis Hyde and Andrew Hyde are a Father/Son team on The Amazing Race 3.
Always lagging behind the other teams, they had trouble finding a flight into England, which put them a day behind the other teams, and they lost despite taking the Fast Forward, finishing in 10th place.
Lexington, Kentucky residents Dennis and Andrew are different as night and day. Andrew, 21, is a liberal, openly gay, college cheerleader. His father Dennis, 48, is a conservative Southern Baptist who manages a family entertainment center.
Dennis says he decided to apply for THE AMAZING RACE so he could spend some quality time with his son. "I would love to travel with Andrew outside the country before he moves on and starts his own life," said Dennis.
Andrew says his primary motivation was to see the world. "The thrill of traveling to places unknown to me seems very intriguing," said Andrew. "My second motivation would be to give Kentuckians someone to root for!"
Both Dennis and Andrew are concerned about keeping clean on the road. Andrew says the most important item in his backpack is his razor, since he hates looking scruffy. Dennis is making sure to pack plenty of soap. "Other than food, sanitation is the key to health. If you are not feeling well, nothing else matters," he says.
The father-and-son Team feel their diversity will prove to be an asset in the Race. While Dennis has experience and wisdom on his side, Andrew's strength, agility and charisma may help lead the Team toward the finish line.
Andrew attends Eastern Kentucky University. His birth date is June 15. Dennis' birth date is January 14.
The Amazing Race 3
|Dennis & Andrew's Race History|
|1||1||United States → Mexico||Wings / Wheels||No Roadblock||8 of 12|
|2||2||Mexico||Man Power / Horse Power||Andrew||9 of 11|
|3||3||Mexico → United Kingdom||Used Fast Forward||10 of 10►|||
- Dennis still runs the Lexington Ice and Recreation Center in Lexington, Kentucky. He even sky-dove on his 60th Birthday to make up for skipping that option on the Detour in Leg 1 (choosing the donkey cart instead). He is a Sunday school teacher and active in his church.
- Andrew lives in Louisville, KY and works as a charity fundraiser as well as a comic book writer. Andrew created and writes the series Monsters Among Us available on iTunes, Amazon, Googleplay, etc. The Race opened doors for Andrew to be a speaker at events like New York City Pride, write for magazines like The Advocate and labeled Instinct Magazine's Reality TV Queer of the Year.
- More recently Andrew was Portland, Oregon's Most Eligible Bachelor by PQ Magazine in 2016 and awarded the title of Queer Hero of the Pacific Northwest in June 2017 for his work in raising money for a HIV/AIDS organization.
- Dennis and Andrew are still very close and attribute much of that to their time together on The Race.
- Andrew was a commentator on CBS.com's blog Return of the Racers for seasons 9, 10, and 11.
- Dennis & Andrew, Aaron & Arianne, and Ken & Gerard are the first Straight/Gay teams.
- First Father and Son team on the race.
- Dennis & Andrew are the first team to be eliminated in the United Kingdom and the first team to be eliminated in Scotland.
- First team to be eliminated despite using the Fast Forward on the same leg.
- CBS.com featured them for a Father's Day Celebration slideshow in 2015.
- Harry Smith on The Early Show (10/17/2002): "Father and Son Part as Friends"
- FansOfRealityTV (10/17/2002): "Our Interview with Dennis & Andrew"
Social Media Profile
- Andrew's Twitter: @AndrewShayde
- Andrew's Facebook: /AndrewShayde
- Andrew's YouTube Channel: /MyLifeAsAndrewS
|The Amazing Race 3 Teams|