Jody Kelly and Shannon Foster are a Grandmother/Granddaughter team on The Amazing Race 16.
They were the only team on the last bus to Puerto Varas in the second leg, putting them far behind to start the leg. Even though they were able to temporarily pass Louie & Michael, Jody struggled to milk her cow at the Roadblock, and they were eliminated in 10th.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Hometown: Round Rock, Texas
Connection to your Teammate: Grandmother
Current Occupation: Personal Trainer
Pet peeve about your teammate: Sometimes her clothing choices seem a bit too revealing
Favorite Hobbies: Triathlons, writing, reading and challenging myself
Achievements: Other than giving birth to my four children, I am most proud of leaving behind my sedentary lifestyle five years ago and starting to live a healthy, athletic lifestyle
Lifelong to do List: Finish a half ironman triathlon. Finish a full marathon. Publish another book. Motivate people to become active. Climb more Colorado mountains. Walk the Appalachian Trail. Go trekking in Norway. Bicycle through the Netherlands. Develop a TV show featuring elderly athletes
If I could switch places with someone: It might be fun to be Carol Burnett for half a day, but then I'd want to come home
Role Model/Hero: Sister Madonna Buder who finished the Kona ironman at age 78.
What are you passionate about? I'm passionate about giving hope to people who think they can't change and helping them improve their lives
What would you do if you won the million dollars? Donate half to the Strengthmobile Foundation and spend the other half on a 500-square foot condominium within a mile of Lady Bird Lake in Austin, Texas
People would be surprised to learn: For two years in the mid 1990s, I performed amateur stand-up comedy to compensate for a really grim period I was going through
Favorite place you have ever visited: Rural Ireland and Hua Hin, Thailand
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Communicating and working together as a team
What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other than winning one million bucks)? As the oldest person who has ever participated in the Race, I hope to show that age is more than a number
Hometown: Georgetown, Texas
Connection to your Teammate: Granddaughter
Current Occupation: Healthcare Outreach Contract Analyst
Pet peeve about your teammate: Grandma can get a bit uptight at times and has a tendency to get carried away Favorite Hobbies: Running, dancing and swimming
Achievements: Getting my degree in Economics from Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas
Lifelong to do List: Run a marathon, earn a medical degree or physician assistant degree and join Doctors Without Borders
If I could switch places with someone: I would never switch places with someone
Role Model/Hero: All the strong-willed and capable women that I am related to—my mom, grandma and great-grandma What are you passionate about? Staying fit and healthy and helping others do the same
What would you do if you won the million dollars? I would backpack across Southeast Asia
People would be surprised to learn: I lived in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia from eight months old until I was almost 10-years-old
Favorite place you have ever visited: Either Angkor Wat in Cambodia or the Great Wall of China
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Making quick decisions without my Mom acting as a middleman
What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other than winning one million bucks)? To get a chance to travel with my grandma and to have an opportunity to practice making decisions in a fast-paced and competitive environment
The Amazing Race 16
|Jody & Shannon's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||United States → Chile||No Detour||Shannon||10 of 11|
|2||2||Chile||Llama Adoration / Condor Consternation||Jody||10 of 10|
- Jody & Shannon are the oldest grandparent/grandchild team, at an average age of 46.5.
- First grandmother/granddaughter team.
- Largest age gap between the teammates for any team, 49 years apart.
- Jody is the oldest woman ever to compete at age 71 and was the oldest overall until Vladimir.
- Jody is the oldest to compete in the US version, at age 71.
- In Touch Weekly (02/21/2010): "Jody and Shannon are sent packing on The Amazing Race"
- Joyce Eng at TV Guide Online (02/22/2010): "Don't Blame the Cow for Our Exit"
- Gina Scarpa at Reality Wanted (02/22/2010): "The Amazing Race 16: Exclusive Interview with Jody Kelly and Shannon Foster"
- Reality TV World (02/23/2010): "Exclusive: Jody Kelly and Shannon Foster talk The Amazing Race"
- Jennifer Murray at Hollywood Life (02/23/2010): "EXCLUSIVE: 'Amazing Race' Contestants Jody & Shannon Talk
- Carrie Bell at People.com (02/23/2010): "Amazing Race's Jody 'Rattled' By Cow Kick to the Face"
Social Media Profiles
- Jody's Facebook: /jody.kelly.37
- Shannon's Facebook: /shannon.foster.50
|The Amazing Race 16 Teams|