Nancy and Emily quickly became fan favorites due to their tenacity despite being heavily outclassed by the other teams and being constantly on the edge of emotional breakdown. However, after losing a vital Fast Forward to Joe & Bill, Nancy convinced a frustrated Emily to quit the Detour, earning them a 24-hour penalty that would cost them the Race. Even though they would still make it to the Pit Stop before Joe & Bill, they were penalized, and finished 5th.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Nancy and Emily are the only parent-and-child Team on THE AMAZING RACE. They've enjoyed traveling extensively together, but have had a few disagreements along the way. They're a strong Team for THE AMAZING RACE because while mother Nancy is good at planning and considerate of others, daughter Emily is impulsive and competitive.
The Amazing Race 1
|Nancy & Emily's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||United States → South Africa → Zambia||Air / Land||Emily||10 of 11|||
|2||2||Zambia → France||Far / Near||Emily||8 of 10|
|3||3||France||Tough Climb / Easy Walk||Emily||8 of 9|
|4||4||France → Tunisia||Full Body Brew / Full Body Massage||Emily||3 of 8|
|5||5||Tunisia||Listening / Puzzling||Emily||3 of 7|
|6||6||Tunisia → Italy||Foot / Hoof||Nancy||5 of 6|
|7||7||Italy → India||Glide / Ride||Nancy||5 of 6|
|8||8||India||Elephant / Row Boat||Emily||5 of 5|
|9||9||India → Thailand||Did not perform||Emily||5 of 5|||
- First blood-related and parent/child team to compete.
- First team to be eliminated due to a penalty.
- This is also the longest time penalty in the history of the race and will not be broken due to rule changes.
- First team to be eliminated in Thailand.
- Highest placing by a mother/daughter team, 5th place.
- Emily performed the most Roadblocks, prior to the six Roadblock rule, out of any woman, performing 7.
- Last all-female team standing in season 1.
- Highest average placing all-female team in season 1 with 5.78
- Emily dated fellow Season 1 racer Brennan Swain but eventually broke up.
- She got married in 2009.
- On December 8, 2011, Nancy passed away at the age of 56 after a long battle with Lou Gehrig's disease.
- CBS.com featured them for a Mother's Day Celebration slideshow in 2015.
- Sam Houston State University interview (09/03/2001): "An Amazing Adventure"
- Audrey Wick at HoustonianOnline.com (November 2001): "Hoyt still contest in The Amazing Race"
- Jane Clayson on The Early Show (11/15/2001): "Bye-bye For Mother-Daughter Team"
- Greg Baerg at Zap2it.com (11/21/2001): "Mother/Daughter Team Looks Back at Amazing Race"
- Sam Houston State University interview (11/28/2001): "The End of An Adventure"
- ↑ http://www.gracegardensfh.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=534093
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20060628072023/http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/teams/bios/emily.shtml
- ↑ http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20137377,00.html
- ↑ http://www.legacy.com/Wacotrib/Celebrations.asp?Page=Announcement&PersonID=128998170
- ↑ http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_amazing_race/2011_Dec_10_nancy-hoyt-dead
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/photos/1001518/the-amazing-race-mother-s-day-celebration/52633/
|The Amazing Race 1 Teams|