Adam Dirks and Bethany Meilani Hamilton are a team of Married Surfers on The Amazing Race 25.
Coming into the race after having previously lost her left arm, Bethany surprised her competitors and viewers alike by completing tasks with one arm that other racers would admit to having difficulty with on both arms. The couple's easy-going, harmonious relationship and their efficiency in physical tasks allowed them to eventually make it to the final three. However, they tended to struggle with both navigating and mental tasks, the latter of which would end up costing them the race. They arrived at the final Roadblock in the lead, only for Bethany to struggle with the task's memory aspect, dropping them to 3rd place.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Hometown: Princeville, Hawaii
Connection to your teammate: Husband
Current occupation: Professional husband. Full-time support.
Describe what you do: Switching my life from full-time youth ministry and substitute teacher to married life has been an amazing experience. I love being with my wife as she travels so often and being her rock, support and encourager for life.
3 words to describe you: Hard-working, easy-going and patient.
Favorite hobbies: Surfing, adventure (hiking, exploring, etc.) and spear fishing.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Having awesome friends.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Tom Cruise.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Amelia Earhart.
What scares you most about traveling? Not being able to communicate well with people in foreign countries and getting lost!
What excites you most about traveling? Experiencing new cultures and sharing those adventures with my best friend/wifey.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We sometimes have a hard time communicating when we are frustrated with one another. I want us to be more open and talk about these frustrations before they build up into something bigger.
Pet peeve about your teammate: Sometimes she eats with her mouth open.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? New Zealand or Iceland. They are both beautiful and have tons of outdoor adventures like surfing, hiking and extreme sports.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope the experience will test our relationship, draw us closer and strengthen our marriage.
Hometown: Princeville, Hawaii
Connection to your teammate: Wife
Current occupation: Pro Surfer and Motivational Speaker
Describe what you do: I travel the world surfing unique locations and compete against the best women in the world. I love surfing. I also speak to different groups in the U.S. and internationally, motivating them to live a life of overcoming!
3 words to describe you: Determined, positive and adventurous.
Favorite hobbies: Surfing, tennis, working out, creating healthy meals and hanging with my hubby and dogs.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Surfing with one arm!
What famous person reminds you of yourself? My mom. She loves surfing like me.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Matthew McConaughey
What scares you most about traveling? Being away from the ocean and long sits on planes.
What excites you most about traveling? I love seeing the unique beauties of other countries, experiencing different cultures and doing it with Adam.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: I'm a girl and I'm more emotional. Plus, I have one arm.
Pet peeve about your teammate: When he doesn't share.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? I've always wanted to go to Madagascar because it seems remote and adventurous. Peru, to surf and Machu Picchu. Also, Israel because it's a bible land.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope Adam and I have a fun time adventuring in different countries and doing challenges. I hope we can have great teamwork and communication. I just want to have a blast!
The Amazing Race 25
|Adam & Bethany's Race History|
|1||1||United States → U.S. Virgin Islands||No Detour||Adam||5 of 11|
|2||2||U.S. Virgin Islands → United Kingdom||About Face / Pancake Race||No Roadblock||1 of 10|
|3||3||United Kingdom||Pony Up / Light My Fire||No Roadblock||2 of 9|
|4||4||United Kingdom → Denmark → Sweden → Denmark||Parking Space / Wedding Cake||Adam||7 of 8|
|5||5||Denmark → Morocco||Twirl Time / Tea Time||Bethany||2 of 8|
|6||6||Morocco||Camp / Cream||Bethany||2 of 7|
|7||7||Morocco → Italy||Painters / Posers||Adam||5 of 6|
|8||8||Italy → Malta||Flag / Shine||Bethany||1 of 6ϵ|||
|9||9||Malta → Singapore||Used Fast Forward||1 of 5►|
|10||10||Singapore → Philippines||Catch / Coach||No Roadblock||3 of 4|
|11||11||Philippines||This / That||Adam||2 of 4|
|12||12||Philippines → United States||No Detour||Adam||3 of 4|||
- In February 2015, the couple announced that they were expecting a child, due in June 2015. On June 1, 2015, Bethany gave birth to first child, a son they named Tobias.
- On March 27, 2018, Bethany gave birth to the couple's second child, Wesley Phillip.
- On October 18, 2020, it was announced that Bethany is pregnant with their third child.
- On October 31, 2003, Bethany survived a shark attack while lying on a surfboard with her friends in Kauai, Hawaii, in which she lost her left arm after the tiger shark attacking her ate it. Her attack was the subject of the 2011 biopic drama film, Soul Surfer.
- Bethany is the first contestant to have an amputated arm.
- First team to retrieve an Express Pass on the race course.
- First team to use the Express Pass and Fast Forward in consecutive legs.
- First team from outside contiguous United States to make it to the final leg.
- Bethany's Website: http://bethanyhamilton.com/
- Bethany's Wikipedia page: Bethany Hamilton
- Lisa Lozana at ET Online (09/26/2014): "Soul Surfer Bethany Hamilton and Hubby Preview Amazing Race"
- Rob Cesternino at RHAP (12/22/2014): "Amazing Race 25 | Finale Exit Interviews"
- Joyce Eng at TV Guide Online (12/23/2014): "We Knew Things Weren't Going Our Way"
- Elizabeth Kwiatkowski at Reality TV World (12/23/2014): "Exclusive:The Amazing Race's Bethany Hamilton and Adam Dirks talk" [Parts 1 and 2]
- Elimination Interviews at CBS.com (12/23/2014): "Elimination Interview: Bethany and Adam"
Social Media Profiles
- Bethany's Facebook: /SurferBethanyHamilton
- Bethany's Twitter: @bethanyhamilton
- Bethany's Instagram: /bethanyhamilton
|The Amazing Race 25 Teams|