Amazing Race (France) is the first installment of the reality television show, Amazing Race (France). It premiered on October 22, 2012 on D8. The show features nine teams of two who are in a pre-existing personal relationship, and follows the various challenges that they undertake as they race around the world to win €50,000.
- Main article: Amazing Race 1 Teams
The following teams participated in the Race. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|30px||Anthony & Sonja||Cyber Friends||2nd||5th2||7th«||2nd||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||2nd||1st|
|30px||Hadj & Yacim||Childhood Friends||3rd||3rd||6th||6th||4th||5th||1st||3rd||1st»||2nd|
|30px||Alice & Stéphanie||Surfers||5th||2nd||4th||3rd||5th||3rd||4th||1st||3rd||3rd|
|30px||Heïdi & Michel||Bikers||1st||6th2||3rd||1st||3rd||4th||2nd||2nd||4th«||Eliminated 6th|
|30px||Francis & Benjamin||Father/Son||7th||4th||2nd||5th||2nd||1st||5th||Eliminated 5th|
|30px||Oucéni & Lassana||Twins||8th1||1st||1st»||4th||6th||Eliminated 4th|
|30px||Mathilde & Séverine||Parisians||4th||7th||5th||7th||Eliminated 3rd|
|30px||Fabien & Aurélien||Police Officers||6th||8th||Eliminated 2nd|
|30px||Antoine & Héléna||Belgian Couple||9th||Eliminated 1st|
1: Oucéni & Lassana lost their key for the Pont des Arts task. They were able to continue racing, receiving a new key, but incurred a 20-minute penalty once landed in Dubai.
2: Anthony & Sonja and Heïdi & Michel initially arrived 5th and 6th respectively, but were issued a 5-minute penalty for taking a taxi to Wat Arun instead of the ferry. This did not affect their placement.
Red = team eliminated.
Orange = non-elimination leg.
Coral = leg number had no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and ordered to continue racing.
Purple = team used the Express Pass.
Blue = team who came in last on an elimination leg was saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
Fuchsia = team used the Salvage Pass to gain a time advantage.
Green ƒ = team won the Fast Forward.
Yellow > = team used Yield • < = team received Yield.
Brown » = team used U-Turn • Brown « = team received U-Turn.
Gold ∪ = team penalized for Automatic U-Turn.
Blue H = team penalized with a Hazard.
Legs and Episodes
Route Information • Detour • Roadblock • Fast Forward • Yield • Intersection • U-Turn •
Speed Bump • Hazard • Pit Stop
Means of Transportation Required:
Leg 1 - Episode 1 (France → United Arab Emirates)
- Starting Line: Parc de Saint-Cloud – Rond-point de la Balustrade, Paris, France
- Pont des Arts, Paris
- Teams were required to search among thousands of locks for one of the hundred padlocks with the Amazing Race flag that the key given them in the clue envelope would open. Once they found the correct lock, the teams would exchange it for their next clue from a young couple.
- Flight from Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris to Dubai International Airport, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Rub' al Khali desert, Dubai
- Pearls: Teams had to find and count, with the help of a sieve, the exact number of pearls in a earthenware jar filled with sand. Once the exact number of pearls was given to the pearler, accompanied by all the pearls contained in the jar, teams could receive their next clue.
- Camels: Teams, with the help of a camel, had to retrieve two bags of hay and deliver them to the cameleer. While one teammate must ride the camel, the other one need to guide the animal along the path. Both team members must hang the bags of hay on the camel by the themselves. Once the hay had been brought back, teams would receive their next clue from the cameleer.
- Skydive Dubai, Dubai
- Teams had to travel to a nearby aerodrome to sign up for one of three flights. The designated teammate for the task must then board the chosen aeroplane and perform a 4,000 meters (13,000 ft) tandem skydive. If they jump within a 10 minute time limit, they received their next clue from an instructor once on the ground. Otherwise, they must wait out a 4-hour penalty.
- Burj Khalifa – Observation Deck, Dubai
- Mall of the Emirates – Ski Dubai, Dubai
- Teams had to take snow with the help of buoys and shovels and carry it outside, where the temperature was approximately 50 °C (122 °F). They then had to build a 1m40 snowman before the snow melted to receive their next clue.
- Atlantis, The Palm, Dubai
Leg 2 - Episode 2 (United Arab Emirates → Thailand)
- Flight from Dubai International Airport, Dubai, United Arab Emirates to Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok, Thailand
- Klong Toey Market, Bangkok
- Taste: Teams had to share and eat two bowls of traditional Thai dishes; the first one containing two scorpions, and the second one, three cockroaches. Once they've eaten all of the insects contained in their plates, teams could receive their next clue from the chef.
- Supplies: Teams were given a shopping list completely written in Thai and buy, with their own money, all of the ten ingredients on the list. Once they brought back all the food to an old lady, they could exchange it with their next clue.
- Davis Bangkok Hotel, Bangkok
- Teams had to sign up for two different departure times for the next morning, 7:30 and 8:00.
- Wat Pho – Phra Chedi Moo Ha, Bangkok
- Teams had to find a young student near the Phra Chedi Moo Ha. They were left to figure out that there were four Chedi, and the student was located beside one of them.
- Tha Tien Cross River Ferry Pier, Bangkok to Wat Arun Ferry Pier, Bangkok
- Wat Arun, Bangkok
- One team member had to to climb the stairs of Wat Arun to the top section and count the statues. Once the correct number (100) is told to a Thai dancer on the ground, they would receive their next clue. But if they tell the wrong number, they would have to climb again and re-count all the statues before they could give a new answer to the dancer.
- Elephant Stay Reserve, Ayutthaya
- Teams had to ride an elephant into the river, where they would have to wash off the traditional markings painted on it to receive their next clue.
- Ayutthaya Historical Park – Wat Phra Mahathat, Ayutthaya
Leg 3 - Episode 3 (Thailand → Japan)
- Flight from Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok to Narita International Airport, Tokyo, Japan
- Shibuya Crossing, Shibuya
- Teams had to spot the Amazing Race logo on one of the giant screens, that would after show them a keyword written in Japanese, appearing for ten seconds at each two minutes. Teams were left to figure out that this word meant Hachikō and that they were directed to go to the Hachikō statue in front of the Shibuya Station. A young Tokyoite located beside the statue would then exchange the word Hachikō for their next clue.
- Shibuya Station - Hachikō Statue, Shibuya
- Capsule Land Hotel, Shibuya
- Teams had to sign up for seven different departure times for the next morning, where they would receive their next clue, the first one at 8:00 and the last at 9:00, each one separated by ten minutes.
- Kaminarimon, Asakusa
- Raichukaikan Temple, Asakusa
- One team member had to grab their next clue from a young sumotori while wrestling against him. If the team member steps outside the red circle or fall on the ground before grabbing their clue, they would have to wait five minutes, or more if there are others teams, to restart the combat.
- Jingu Bashi Bridge, Harajuku
- Teams had to find, with the help of a drawing of the character given them in the clue envelope, a person dressed as Son Goku, the main protagonist of the manga series Dragon Ball. Teams would have to give them a gift of pink color in exchange of their next clue.
- Hikawa Jinga-Shibuya Temple, Shibuya
- Nouilles (Noodles): Teams had to deliver six bowls of noodles to the restaurant's customers, located at a distance of 150 meters from the starting point, while wearing a traditional dress and a pair of geta to receive their next clue. When delivered, the soup contained in the bowls must be filled up to the red pattern, if not, teams would have to restart everything.
- Poissons (Fishes): Teams had to catch fifteen goldfishes with the help of a rice paper landing net to receive their next clue.
- Oucéni & Lassana U-turned Anthony & Sonja.
- Odaiba Park, Odaiba
Leg 4 - Episode 4 (Japan → United States)
- Flight from Narita International Airport, Tokyo to Honolulu International Airport, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
- Pearl Harbor - USS Missouri, Pearl City
- One team member had to decipher their next destination (Kawela Bay), which would be presented to them through the use of Flag semaphore. Teams were given a list of flag positions representing each letter, but they would have to memorize it before a naval officer would present them with their destination.
- Kawela Bay
- Teams signed up for departure times the following morning. The first four teams would depart at 8:45am, and the last three would depart at 9:00am.
- Magic Island, Honolulu
- Glace Pilée (Crushed Ice): Teams needed to fill a bucket with crushed ice using a traditional saw on a block of ice to receive their next clue.
- Pierre Cassée (Broken Stone): Teams had to take a surfboard out to a buoy in the water (using the traditional Hawaiian standard of standing upright on top of it), retrieve a 2kg stone from beneath it, and return it to shore. They would then have to use a chisel to break the stone and retrieve their clue from inside.
- Secret Island, Kualoa Ranch, Kualoa Valley
Leg 5 - Episode 5 (United States)
- Flight from Honolulu International Airport, Honolulu to Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, California
- Venice Beach, Los Angeles
- Pic à Glace (Ice Pick): Teams had to take control of an ice-cream vendor and sell ice cream cones to locals where hey had to make US$30 and had to sell each cone for at least US$2 to receive their next clue.
- Picasso: Teams had to convince locals to let them paint caricatures of them. They had to sell these and make US$30 to receive their next clue.
- After the Detour, teams would receive a CD containing nine French versions of classic Disney songs. They would have to memorize the names of these songs while listening to the CD on the way to the hotel of their overnight rest.
- Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles
- Teams had to locate a saxophonist, who would be playing one of the nine songs from the CD ("The Bare Necessities"). Teams would have to correctly identify this song to receive their next clue.
- Hollywood Walk of Fame, Los Angeles
- Teams had to locate four stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame using a photograph of four peoples' heads edited onto Mount Rushmore: Sylvester Stallone, Michael Jackson, Steven Spielberg and Meryl Streep. Once they had located all four and taken a picture of each, they would give them to a woman dressed as Marilyn Monroe in exchange for their next clue.
- Golden Oak Ranch, Canyon County, Santa Clarita
- One team member had to successfully perform a burnout in a car on a movie set to receive their next clue.
- Venice Beach, Los Angeles
Leg 6 - Episode 6 (United States → Brazil)
- Flight from Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles to Foz do Iguaçu International Airport, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil
- Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Jungle Camp, Foz do Iguaçu
- Teams signed up for departure times the following morning. During the overnight rest, teams received video messages from their loved ones at home.
- Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Mirante Garganta do Diabo, Foz do Iguaçu
- Connaissance (Knowledge): Teams needed to choose from a variety of items representing Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay, and correctly give five of each to the correct representatives of each country to receive their next clue. However, a bank note from Panama and a map from Chile are included to trick teams.
- Patience: Teams needed to untangle a large knot of ropes to release their next clue from within.
- Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Bike parking lot, Foz do Iguaçu
- Teams had to repair and inflate the tires of bikes, which they would use to ride to their next destination.
- Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Iguaçu River, Foz do Iguaçu
- Teams had to ride kayaks 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) down the river to get their next clue.
- Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Cânion Iguaçu, Foz do Iguaçu
- One team member had to rappel 55 metres (180 ft) down Cânion Iguaçu to retrieve their next clue.
- After the Roadblock, teams needed to raft 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) down the river to the midpoint.
- →→ Parque Nacional do Iguaçu – Puerto Macuco, Foz do Iguaçu
- The leg continues with leg 7 below.
Leg 7 - Episode 7 (Brazil)
- Flight from Foz do Iguaçu International Airport, Foz do Iguaçu to Santos Dumont Airport, Rio de Janeiro
- Cantagalo slums, Rio de Janeiro
- Before the Roadblock, teams had to follow race flags and arrows around the slums, searching for a boy named João who is holding their next clue.
- One team member had to kick a soccer ball through a small metal grate representing their goal, but could not let the ball knock away the piece of wood at the bottom of the opening, meaning teams needed to kick the ball through the air. They would have to accomplish this task twice in five attempts, or they would have to go to the back of the line.
- Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro
- Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro
- Jeu de Jambes (Leg Game): Teams must learn how to properly perform a Samba dance for a judge to receive their next clue.
- Jeu de Plage (Beach Game): Teams must create the word "Race" on a pre-existing sand sculpture of Corcovado with "Amazing" written on it. They would then have to cover a small Christ the Redeemer statue with wet sand to complete the sculpture with the satisfaction of the judge to receive their clue.
- Largo da Carioca, Rio de Janeiro
- Teams had to conduct a survey with the people of Rio de Janeiro. They had to find eight people from eight different states of Brazil and bring them to the judge, who would verify their place of birth and stamp the survey, to receive their next clue.
- Botafogo Beach, Rio de Janeiro
Leg 8 - Episode 8 (Brazil → South Africa)
- Flight from Rio de Janeiro-Galeão International Airport, Rio de Janeiro to Cape Town International Airport, Cape Town, South Africa
- Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town
- Radio: Teams had to travel to the Waterfront's Market, where they had to put together two radios with the material provided to receive their next clue.
- Disco: Teams had to learn to perform the Gumboot dance with a troupe of African dancers. Once they have successfully performed the dance for the band leader, they would receive their clue.
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice!, Cape Town
- District Six Museum, Cape Town
- Teams had to complete a wood block puzzle, which would reveal two street names. Teams had to use the large map of District 6 on the ground to find the written name of someone who used to live at the intersection of these two before being removed during Apartheid. They would then have to find this person inside the museum to receive their next clue. After, teams needed to procure a copy of the Cape Times and had to find their next clue printed inside, indicating where they would find their cars and their next clue envelope.
- Castle of Good Hope, Cape Town
- Intyatyambo Orphanage, Khayelitsha, Cape Town
- Teams participated in the Mandela Day activities and helped out at the orphanage, delivering gifts provided in their vehicles, doing chores and repairing the site, for 67 minutes (in reference to the Mandela Day slogan) before receiving their next clue.
- Cape of Good Hope - Cape Point, Cape Town
- Rhodes Memorial, Cape Town
Leg 9 - Episode 9 (South Africa)
- Aquila Private Game Reserve, Western Cape Province
- Before the Detour, teams first participated in a safari, and were then asked the eight questions below to receive their next clue.
- Dry Game: Teams were faced with a series of pots suspended from an arch. The pot in the middle was painted black, and had to be avoided. Teams had to use a traditional tribal club from a distance to hit the pots to receive their next clue. However, if the black pot was hit, teams incurred a ten-minute penalty.
- Wet Game: Teams had to open an ostrich egg and empty its contents. They then had to use the egg shells to transport water and fill a jar to receive their next clue.
- Nelson Creek Vineyard, Western Cape Province
- Huguenot Memorial Building, Cape Town
Leg 10 - Episode 10 (South Africa → France)
- Protea Hotel Fire and Ice, Cape Town
- Port of Cape Town, Cape Town
- One team member had to descend down in a shark cage. They then had to take a photograph of a shark, fitting its entire body into the image. After grabbing their clue from the shark cage, they could return to the boat. If they took a good photograph of the shark, they would receive a 15-minute headstart at the Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport.
- Flight from Cape Town International Airport, Cape Town to Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris, France
- La Mer de Sable, Ermenonville
- Teams had to dig in the sand to find their next clue. However, some holes contained clues saying "Try again."
- Château de Chantilly, Chantilly
- Crème Fouettée (Whipped Cream): Teams needed to use the provided ingredients to make a batch of Crème Chantilly to a chef's satisfaction.
- Cible Visée (Target Sight): Teams needed to shoot arrows at a target using a bow, and needed to get two in the outer blue part, two in the middle red part, and two in the center yellow part.
- Chaalis Abbey, Fontaine-Chaalis
- Teams needed to place markers containing distances in kilometres next to each destination they visited on the race, indicating how far away the location is from Paris.
- Finish Line: Stade de France, Saint-Denis
- Before heading to the Finish Line, teams needed to find the commemorative star for Zinedine Zidane, where they would find a clue box containing tickets that would grant them entrance to the stadium.
- Least number of teams in a season, 9.
- First international version to visit the United States.
|The Amazing Race Season Index|
|United States|| 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 ·|
16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 ·
28 · 29 · 30 · 31 · 32
|Asia||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5|
|Australia||1 · 2 · 3 · 4|
|Canada||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8|
|China||1 · 2 · 3 · 4|
|China Rush||1 · 2 · 3|
|Israel||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7|
|Latin America||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6|
|Norway||1 · 2|
|The Philippines||1 · 2|
|Vietnam||1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6|
Want to play Survivor yourself? Join our version, Survivor: Wikia - Sardinia!