Beauty Is Sometimes Skin Deep is the second episode of The Amazing Race: All-Stars.
Racing to avoid elimination, four teams conduct a mad dash in 4x4's across the desert where frustration and anger boil over and alliance are shattered.
One team's daring attempts to outsmart the competition fall drastically when a chanced flight is delayed.
The order of departure from Mirador Cotopaxi are as follows:
"Who has an eye for detail?"
The team member assigned to perform this Roadblock must enter the ground floor boardroom and search for details in the room that would lead them to the answer. Teams were left to figure out that there were letters hidden around the room that, when unscrambled, would spell out one of the ten destinations inscribed on the plaques hanging on the wall. When they believed that they had the solution ("Chuquicamata"), they had to show their answer to the security guard, who would hand them their next clue if they were correct.
The Roadblock performers per team are underlined:
Choice A: By Hand
Teams must choose a two-ton tire on one of the mine's massive dump trucks. They would have to properly align the bolts and washers on the tire and properly secure them. Once their work was approved by a judge, they would receive their next clue.
Joe & Bill and Rob & Amber chose this task.
Choice B: By Machine
Teams must both use a front-end loader to transfer a pile of gravel from one post to another. When teams have transferred enough gravel to cover a yellow line on a measuring stick, they would receive their next clue.
Teams must drive themselves through the Valle of the Moon while adhering to a maximum speed of 40 kilometers per hour. After exiting the Valley of the Moon, teams may increase their maximum speed to 50 kilometers per hour while driving towards the Valley of the Dead to check in. For coming in first, Rob & Amber won an off-road motorcycle for each member.
First Place • Eliminated • Last placer on a Non-Elimination Leg • Season winner • Season 2nd place • Season 3rd place • ► Used the Fast Forward• > Used the Yield • < Recipient of the Yield
- The past-season highlight selected by Thermacare for its "The Amazing Race All-Stars Moment of Relief" during this episode was Teri & Ian using a siphon to remove the unleaded gasoline (a mistake committed by half of the teams) in their vehicle and then put in diesel fuel to continue on the race in "What Happens If I Slip? Am I Just Hanging Off a Cliff?".
- With Kevin & Drew's elimination, Joe & Bill are the last team from The Amazing Race 1 left racing.
- The episode title is said by Charla Baklayan Faddoul, in reference to Dustin & Kandice's callous gameplay.
- Jace Lacob at Televisionary (02/26/2007): "A Miserable Thing, This Race: Rob and Amber Maintain Their Lead"
- Lyn Jensen at RealityTV Fans (08/26/2014): "The Amazing Race: Flashback to Season 11's 2nd Leg"