James LoMenzo and Mark "Abba" Abbattista are a team of Rock Star/Lawyer on The Amazing Race 21.
Unlike most of their competitors, James & Abba generally shirked away from alliances, preferring to run the race on their own. Although this approach to the race led to success and propelled them to the final six, they were also prone to misplacing their possessions, leading to trouble down the line. They first misplaced their money in the sixth leg, leading to Natalie & Nadiya and Trey & Lexi finding it and claiming it for themselves. In the following leg, despite having a lead of over six hours over Abbie & Ryan and Josh & Brent, they left their bags and Abba's passport in a Russian gypsy cab, which then drove off without them. This proved to be their undoing as they spent the remainder of their time in Russia trying to find Abba's passport, before ultimately being eliminated in 6th place.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Hometown: Scituate, MA.
Connection to your teammate: Friends
Current occupation: Professional Musician – former band member of White Lion and Megadeth.
Describe what you do: For the past 30 plus years I've been a professional touring musician. I've toured and recorded with some of the most popular, iconic artists, such as White Lion, Ozzy Osbourne, Slash, David Lee Roth, Black Label Society, Megadeth, Bobby Brown and DMC (to name more than a few). I'm also founder of Monster House Productions, a video production company geared mostly towards the musical instrument manufacturing sector. We do product demos, instructional videos and just about everything else to help companies promote their products and services.
Favorite hobby: Photography
Word to describe you: Gregarious and reliable.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of: My career as a professional musician.
What famous person reminds you of yourself: Me
What famous person reminds you of your teammate: Jack Sparrow
What scares you most about traveling: Not much scares me about traveling. I've gotten accustomed to it over the years.
What excites you most about traveling: Seeing new places and meeting new people.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: I don't think we will have too many challenges. We work pretty well together.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He's too handsome.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Africa, because I have never been.
Hometown: Denver, CO
Connection to your teammate: Friends
Current occupation: Entertainment Lawyer
Describe what you do: I negotiate and draft various music-related contracts and licenses. I help create and develop business strategies and touring opportunities for music and entertainment clients.
Favorite hobbies: Baseball, traveling and photography.
Three words to describe you: Charming, funny and sarcastic.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of: Being with my wife since we were 14 years old and my children.
What famous person reminds you of yourself: I look like John Lennon or Jesus, but I have the personality of Scarecrow from "The Wizard of Oz."
What famous person reminds you of your teammate: James LoMenzo
What scares you most about traveling: Foreign medical care being sub par.
What excites you most about traveling: New sights, sounds, smells and meeting new people. Plus, I like getting my passport stamped!
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: I don't foresee any.
Pet peeve about your teammate: His pink suitcase! (He swears it's salmon.)
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Antarctica and the Himalayas – I can't think of anything more spectacular.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope to make my children proud of me.
The Amazing Race 21
|James & Abba's Race History|
|1||1||United States → China||No Detour||James||6 of 11|||
|2||2||China → Indonesia||Ice-by-the-Pound / Fish-by-the-Barrel||James||6 of 10|
|3||3||Indonesia||Lion's Head / Egg Head||Abba||4 of 9|
|4||4||Indonesia → Bangladesh||Used Fast Forward||1 of 8►|
|5||5||Bangladesh||Straw Dogs / Bamboo Jungle||James||1 of 7|
|6||6||Bangladesh → Turkey||Simit / Scrub It||Abba||3 of 7|
|7||7||Turkey → Russia||Alphabetized / Synchronized||Abba||6 of 6|||
|8||8||Russia||Did not perform||Abba||6 of 6|||
- First team to run an entire leg without a team member's passport.
- James's Wikipedia page: James LoMenzo
- James's Website: jameslomenzo.com
- Kimberly Nordyke at The Hollywood Reporter (11/19/2012): "James and Abba on Their Stolen Passport and Why They Were in a Limo With a Priest"
- Sheldon Sherman at Yakkity Yaks (11/19/2012): "The Amazing Race: The Yak Chats with James and Mark"
- Elizabeth Kwiatkowski at Reality TV World (11/19/2012): "Exclusive: James LoMenzo and Mark 'Abba' Abbattista talk The Amazing Race" [Parts 1 & 2]
- Reg Seeton at The Deadbolt (11/19/2012): "I ran the race with two broken legs"
- Gina Scarpa at Reality Wanted (11/20/2012): "The Amazing Race 21: Exclusive Interview with James LoMenzo and Mark "Abba" Abbattista"
- Elimination Interviews at CBS.com (11/20/2012): "Elimination Interview: Abba and James"
- Lindsay Zier-Vogel at CTV.ca (11/21/2012): "When the rockers were handed (passport-less) lemons, they made (vodka-spiked) lemonade"
- Marah Eakin at A.V. Club (12/06/2013): "What's it like to be a contestant on The Amazing Race?"
- Rob Cesternino & Jessica Liese (03/10/2014): "Amazing Race All-Stars Episode 3 Recap with Abba from TAR 21"
Social Media Profiles
- James's Facebook: /jameslomenzofanpage
- James's Instagram: /bassmonsterr
- Abba's Twitter: @BassiusMaximus
- Eng, Joyce (November 19, 2012). Amazing Race's James and Abba: We'd Love to Know What the Cabbie Did with Our Bags. TV Guide. Retrieved on April 10, 2016.
|The Amazing Race 21 Teams|