They quickly stood out amongst their competitors in The Amazing Race 12 with their unique wardrobe embodying Goth culture and generally positive attitudes. However, they quickly proved that appearances could be deceiving, immediately proving to the other teams that they were strong racers, consistently finishing near the top of the pack. The pressures of the Race eventually got to them in Italy, however, as they suffered from navigational issues and communications breakdowns, but were spared by a Non-Elimination Leg, being hit with the series' first ever Speed Bump. They bounced back in the following leg, managing to keep up with the pack in spite of their Speed Bump, only to make two key mistakes. They first mistakenly used the U-Turn on Nicolas & Donald, whom they had not seen in some time, instead of Nathan & Jennifer, the team they knew were racing against to avoid elimination. Then, Kynt committed another error at the Roadblock that forced him to backtrack, allowing Nathan & Jennifer to surge ahead, and resulting in Kynt & Vyxsin coming in last, being eliminated in 5th place.
Their memorable run led to them returning for Unfinished Business, where they had a significantly weaker run than their first appearance, never finishing higher than 3rd at any point of the Race. Additionally, the pair were prone to more bickering and errors, going as far as to miss a flight when they had more than 10 hours to do so, and then nearly losing their passports twice, all in the same leg. Despite this, they were able to redeem their former mistake by successfully U-Turning Jaime & Cara out of the Race. They were then eliminated in 5th place again after misreading their clue and receiving a 30-minute penalty.
Retrieved from CBS.com
These best friends have been dating on and off for over three years. These purveyors of Goth pride themselves on keeping Louisville "weird." In their own hometown Kynt & Vyxsin are very active in their local scene, regularly hosting and acting as emcee at rock shows and club nights. The most difficult part of the Race will undoubtedly be keeping up their daily "make up" routine. Between the two of them Kynt & Vyxsin have collectively had their hair dyed 18 different colors. Fashion is a passion for these two.
Vyxsin claims that the biggest difference between the two is that she is very emotional while he is more reserved. She has been trying to get him to open up more and express his true feelings which she claims she's having success doing. Vyxsin describes herself as compassionate and theatrical and she works as a waiter at Ramsi's Cafe.
Kynt is a waiter at the Texas Roadhouse Restaurant. Kynt describes himself as abstract, atypical and avant-garde He claims that the biggest difference between the two is that Vyxsin is more emotional while Kynt is more sarcastic. Both have also worked as receptionists at Kaleidoscope hair salon for several years.
Together they enjoy shopping, dancing and doing each other's hair/makeup. Besides a mirror Kynt & Vyxsin's favorite thing to stare into is their computer monitor as both are admittedly MySpace-addicts. Additionally they both enjoy roadtripping to Sci-Fi conventions across the country where as Kynt puts it, "They feel right at home surrounded by Storm Troopers and Wookies." Both have a dream of someday attending the Wave-Gotik-Treffen in Leipzig, Germany, which is the largest Goth/industrial music festival in the world.
Representing the "Goth" community in Louisville has embedded a strong sense of "us against the world" mentality in these two Racers. Therefore, don't look for them to fall apart when the chips are down, a trait that will undoubtedly be tested on the Race.
The Amazing Race 12
|Kynt & Vyxsin's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||United States → Ireland||No Detour||Vyxsin||2 of 11|
|2||2||Ireland → The Netherlands||Hoist It / Hunt It||Kynt||4 of 10|
|3||3||The Netherlands → Burkina Faso||Teach It / Learn It||Vyxsin||4 of 9|
|4||4||Burkina Faso||Shake Your Pan / Shake Your Booty||Vyxsin||5 of 8|
|5||5||Burkina Faso → Lithuania||Count Down / Step Up||Kynt||2 of 7|
|6||6||Lithuania → Croatia||Short & Long / Long & Short||Kynt||2 of 6|
|7||7||Croatia → Italy||Invention / Tradition||Vyxsin||5 of 5|
|8||8||Italy → India||Paste 'Em / Thread 'Em||Kynt||5 of 5⊂|||
The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business
|Kent & Vyxsin's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||United States → Australia||No Detour||Vyxsin||10 of 11|
|2||2||Australia||Spirit World / Natural World||No Roadblock||7 of 11|
|3||3||Australia → Japan||Prayer of Purity / Frog of Luck||Kent||7 of 10|
|4||4||Japan → China||Hammer / Horn||Vyxsin||9 of 9|||
|5||5||China||Honor the Past / Embrace the Future||Kent||5 of 9⊂|||
|6||6||China → India||Hindu Art / Bengali Language||Kent||5 of 8|
|7||7||India||Feed the Fire / Feed the Buffalo||Kent||6 of 7|
|8||8||India → Austria||Long Hard Walk / Quick and Easy Meal||Vyxsin||3 of 6|
|9||9||Austria → Lichtenstein → Switzerland||Cheese / Wheeze||Vyxsin||3 of 6|
|10||10||Switzerland||Search / Rescue||Vyxsin||5 of 5|||
- In 2010, after the death of his father, Kent dropped the "y" from his name and returned to using an "e".
- Kent & Vyxsin have had cameos on Bones and The Big Bang Theory.
- The couple applied for The Amazing Race Asia 3, but were rejected as the producers did not want teams to face against an experienced team, in addition to not residing in Asia at the time.
- They had their audition video though shown on that season's special Racers Revealed episode.
- Kent & Vyxsin broke up sometime after The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business.
- Kent & Vyxsin are the team to perform a Speed Bump as a penalty for finishing last on a Non-Elimination Leg.
- They are the first team to use a U-Turn and be eliminated in the same leg.
- Host Phil Keoghan branded them the "most fashionable team ever" upon their elimination in The Amazing Race 12.
- They are the second of six teams to finish in the same position twice, 5th place (with Oswald & Danny (4th), Margie & Luke (8th), Leo & Jamal (4th), Brendon & Rachel (3rd), and Becca & Floyd (5th)).
- People.com (01/02/2008): "Goths on Their Mistakes, Makeup"
- Oscar Dahl at BuddyTV (01/02/2008): "Exclusive Interview: Kynt and Vyxsin, from 'The Amazing Race 12'"
- Teeuwynn Woodruff at RealityNewsOnline (01/09/2008): "Our Main Asset was Each Other"
- Rochell D. Thomas at TV Guide Online (01/10/2008): "Dating Goths Stay Upbeat to the End"
- Eric Goldman at IGN.com (01/10/2008): "The Goths tell us where they went wrong and why they wear pink."
- Joyce Eng at TV Guide Online (05/02/2011): "The Globetrotters were very appalling"
- Elizabeth Kwiatkowski at Reality TV World (05/03/2011): "Exclusive: Kent Kaliber and Vyxsin Fiala talk about The Amazing Race"
- Digital Spy (05/03/2011): "Kent & Vyxsin talk about the high and lows of The Amazing Race"
- Carla Patton at BuddyTV (05/05/2011): "Interview: Kent and Vyxsin of 'The Amazing Race' Say The Globetrotters Are 'Big Babies'"
- Teeuwynn Woodruff at RealityNewsOnline (05/09/2011): "When We Look Our Best, We Play Our Best"
Social Media Profiles
- Kent's Facebook: /itsKentKaliber
- KentKaliber's Twitter: @KentKaliber
- Vyxsin's Facebook: /MissVyxsin
- Vyxsin's Twitter: @MissVyxsin
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20160818214612/http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/cast/23565/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/cast/52948/
- ↑ http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101222/COLUMNISTS1802/312220069/The+Buzz+%7C+Louisville+s+own+cover+stars
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GS8-zk_T60
- ↑ http://fangsbites.com/the-amazing-race-asia/interview-with-the-amazing-race-asia-executive-producer-michael-mckay.html
|The Amazing Race 12 Teams|
|The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business Teams|