Linda Ruiz and Karen Heins are a team of Bowling Moms on The Amazing Race 5.
Though not the strongest team physically, they persisted to reach the penultimate leg, where they were done in when Colin zoomed by Karen on the ascender Roadblock, leaving them to finish in 4th place.
Retrieved from CBS.com
- “Karen is the second most competitive person I know -- me being #1!”— Linda
Linda & Karen are self-proclaimed bowling moms from Palmdale, California. They met 12 years ago when they joined the local bowling team and have been doubles partners ever since. A major accomplishment for them was winning the California State Bowling Doubles Tournament in 1999. In addition to bowling, they go on family vacations together to Bass Lake in California.
Karen has been happily married for 21 years and has three children. Linda is celebrating her silver anniversary with her husband this year. She is also a mother of three children and teaches tennis.
Linda & Karen describe themselves as "athletic moms who like to compete at everything." They are excited to compete in THE AMAZING RACE 5 so they can see new places and meet new people.
When and where did you meet?
Linda: Karen and I met 15 years ago at Kindergarten Roundup for our sons, who are now 19 years old.
If you could describe your relationship in one phrase or sentence, what would it be?
Linda: Our relationship is primarily based on our bowling competitions.
Have you ever traveled together before? If so, what were the best and worst aspects of traveling together?
Linda: We vacation each year at Bass Lake, California, and we travel to National and State Bowling tournaments.
Why did you decide to team up for THE AMAZING RACE?
Linda: Karen is the second most competitive person I know—me being #1!
As you begin the Race, how do you think this experience will affect your relationship?
Linda: No change.
What strengths and weaknesses do you bring to the Team?
Linda: Mentally I am the strongest, but I tend to whine when in last place.
What strengths and weaknesses does your teammate bring to the Team?
Linda: Karen is very athletic and competitive. She never gives up. She believes everything has to be perfect.
The Amazing Race 5
|Linda & Karen's Race History|
|1||1||United States → Uruguay||Zips / Chips||No Roadblock||3 of 11|
|2||2||Uruguay → Argentina||Perro / Tango||Karen||4 of 10|
|3||3||Argentina||Smooth Sailing / Rough Riding||Linda||6 of 9|
|4||4||Argentina → Russia||Block 5 Shots / Drink 1 Shot||Linda||6 of 8|
|5||5||Russia → Egypt||Rock & Roll / Hump & Ride||Karen||7 of 7|
|6||6||Egypt||Herd It / Haul It||Linda||6 of 7|
|7||7||Egypt → Kenya → Tanzania||Buzzing / Busy||Karen||3 of 6|
|8||8||Tanzania → United Arab Emirates||Off Plane / Off Road||Linda||4 of 5|||
|9||9||United Arab Emirates → India||Heavy but Short / Light but Long||Karen||3 of 5|
|10||10||India → New Zealand||Clean / Dirty||Karen||2 of 5|
|11||11||New Zealand → The Philippines||Plow / Fowl||Linda||2 of 4|
|12||12||The Philippines||Unknown||Karen||4 of 4|||
- In Season 9's "Good Thing I Took That Human Anatomy Class in High School", BJ & Tyler paid homage to Linda & Karen by wearing "Bowling Moms" t-shirts. In return, the moms wore "BJ & Tyler shirts" at the West Coast finale party.
- First team to be penalized for checking in last in a Non-Elimination Leg.
- First team to surrender their money as a penalty.
- First all-female team to reach the final four.
- First team eliminated on leg 12 of the race.
- First team eliminated on the penultimate leg of the race.
- First all-female team to finish in 4th place.
- Linda & Karen are the first team to be eliminated in the Philippines.
- Harry Smith on The Early Show (09/22/2004): "Amazing Race Ends with Proposal"
- Ethan Alter at TV Guide Online (10/01/2004): "TAR's Bowling Moms Strike Out"
- TARflies interview (01/22/2005): "Bowling Moms Rule!"
Social Media Profiles
- Linda's Facebook: /linda.ruiz.12
- Karen's Facebook: /karen.hiltonheins
|The Amazing Race 5 Teams|