Michael Wu and Kevin Wu are a Father/Son team on The Amazing Race 17.
Coming into the race, Kevin was not confident of their ability to do well, feeling that his father would be a physical liability for their team. Nevertheless, Michael was able to prove his son wrong, making up for his lack of physicality by performing well in other tasks, often resulting in them finishing near the front of the pack. In Russia, however, Kevin's tendency to ignore Michael's advice cost them, as they incurred two 30-minute penalties for misreading clues, dropping them to last and resulting in their elimination in 7th place.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Hometown: Sugar Land, Texas
Connection to your Teammate: Father
Current occupation: Software Consultant and Content Creator/Internet Entertainer Favorite hobbies: My favorite hobbies include reading a good book, watching old movies and going to the park/lake.
Achievements: I have provided a stable and comfortable environment for my two kids to grow up. My wife and I did our best to raise them while running our own business.
Lifelong to do list: Travel around the world, be good at martial arts like Tai-Chi and pursue an advanced degree
What scares you most about traveling? Being in an airplane accident
What excites you most about traveling? Seeing different places and people, and getting out of the routine to do something different
What are you passionate about? I like to make friends smile and laugh. I also love to share my knowledge with young people and hope to make a difference in their lives.
What would you do if you won the million dollars? I would share half of the amount equally among the 11 teams and the rest I would donate to charity.
People would be surprised to learn: I am not really comfortable in a competitive situation.
Favorite place you have ever visited: North European countries
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: We need to try and put our different personalities aside and work to be the best team we can be. What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I hope the Race will be an exciting and fun experience that we can share for the rest of our lives. I'm also sure that facing the challenges and solving them together will definitely make us understand each other better. I hope to improve our relationship.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He uses foul language in situations when it's not really called for.
Hometown: Sugar Land, Texas
Connection to your Teammate: Son
Current occupation: Student/Internet Entertainer
Favorite hobbies: Making videos, competitive sports and traveling
Achievements: I just recently hit one million subscribers on Youtube. Also I'm the youngest person ever to be on Amazing Race!
Lifelong to do list: Ultimately I would like to learn how to cook, travel the world, start a production company.
What scares you most about traveling? Losing my luggage
What excites you most about traveling? Getting to experience new places
If I could switch places with someone: I'd rather not switch places with anyone.
Role model/hero: My dad. He knows how to keep it real.
What are you passionate about? Food
What would you do if you won the million dollars? I would use it to fund a show I have in mind.
People would be surprised to learn: I make YouTube videos with my dad. My dad is hilarious!
Favorite place you have ever visited: Amsterdam
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Being decisive and using our heads more than others, because as a team we might be at a disadvantage physically.
What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other then winning one million bucks)? The experience of traveling around the globe.
Pet peeve about your teammate: Sometimes we have a difficult time comprehending one another.
The Amazing Race 17
|Michael & Kevin's Race History|
|1||1||United States → United Kingdom||No Detour||Kevin||7 of 11|
|2||2||United Kingdom → Ghana||Tune In / Check Out||Michael||3 of 10|
|3||3||Ghana||Bicycle Parts / Language Arts||Kevin||9 of 9|
|4||4||Ghana → Sweden||Sleds / Beds||Michael||4 of 9|
|5||5||Sweden → Norway||Bike / Boat||Kevin||4 of 8|
|6||6||Norway → Russia||Classical Music / Classic Cinema||Kevin||3 of 7|
|7||7||Russia||Circus Band / Circus Clown||Michael||7 of 7|||
- In 2014, Kevin starred in the crime drama film Revenge of the Green Dragons.
- In 2015, Kevin turned down a role for the Netflix series Master of None.
- Largest age gap for a parent/child team, 39 years
- Kevin's Wikipedia page: KevJumba
- Linda Ong at AsianWeek (09/25/2010): "Kevin Wu on The Amazing Race and His Rise to YouTube Fame"
- Joyce Eng at TV Guide Online (11/08/2010): "Getting Two Penalties Was a Shock to Us"
- Carrie Bell at People (11/08/2010): "Amazing Race's Team Jumba Were Clueless About Misreading Clue"
- Gina Scarpa at Reality Wanted (11/08/2010): "The Amazing Race 17: Exclusive Interview with Michael and Kevin Wu"
- Digital Spy (11/09/2010): "Father-and-son pair say they had no idea they would incur penalties"
- Reality TV World (11/09/2010): "Exclusive - Michael and Kevin Wu discuss The Amazing Race"
- Teeuwynn Woodruff at RealityNewsOnline (11/10/2010): "It Was a Month of Pure Adrenaline"
Social Media Profiles
- Kevin's Website: http://www.kevjumba.com/
- Kevin's YouTube Channel: /kevjumba
- Sun, Rebecca (August 28, 2017). Why YouTube Megastar KevJumba Mysteriously Disappeared. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on September 17, 2017.
|The Amazing Race 17 Teams|