Margaret "Peggy" Kuhn and Claire Jinks are a team of Grandmothers on The Amazing Race 2.
Affectionately nicknamed the Gutsy Grannies, they struggled through the race from the get-go. After narrowly escaping elimination twice, they ended up getting delayed by their connections on the way to South Africa, and they were forced to go directly to the Pit Stop to be eliminated in 9th place.
Retrieved from CBS.com
- “We both appreciate a good laugh, and we share a lot of the same interests. It's very unusual to make close friendships so late in life, but we have done so.”
Peggy and Claire met about four years ago, while walking their dogs at a lake in the sierras. Their dogs quickly struck up a friendship, and so did Peggy and Claire. Last year the two spent ten days together in Santa Monica, California, and enjoyed the experience very much. The greatest difficulty was the fact that Peggy is an early riser, while Claire prefers to sleep in. When Peggy saw the AMAZING RACE application on the CBS website she called Claire, and both agreed that it would be fun to compete.
When considering how their experience in THE AMAZING RACE might change their relationship, Peggy observes, "Between the two of us, we're a hundred and twenty-something years old. It would take something more earth shattering than a TV show to change our relationship. There are some advantages to growing old! You don't sweat the small stuff."
Q & A
What strengths and weaknesses do you bring to the Team?
- Peggy: I have a good memory for names, places, times, and dates, am excellent at math, and enjoy everything.
- Claire: I can yodel. I am energetic, competitive, personable, and I've traveled extensively. I am strong for a woman of indeterminate years! A major weakness is that I rush into things without carefully thinking them out.
What strengths and weaknesses does your teammate bring to the Team?
- Peggy: Claire is very intelligent, well traveled and very well read. She can also yodel. She laughs at my stupid observations and never complains when she feels bad or loses a toenail. Her only weakness on this trip is that she moves too fast that she doesn't see things around her. I think it's just that she is so focused on getting to the end. That determination is also one of her strengths that I admire.
- Claire: Peggy is creative, energetic, personable, and very good company. She can charm the birds out of the trees.
What is your favorite film?
- Claire: American Beauty
- Peggy: A Thousand Clowns
What is your favorite TV show?
- Claire: The West Wing
- Peggy: THE AMAZING RACE
Who is your favorite actor?
- Claire: Kevin Spacey
- Peggy: Robert De Niro
Who is your favorite actress
- CLAIRE: Judi Dench
- PEGGY: Anne Bancroft
What is your favorite band?
- Claire: The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
- Peggy: Willie Nelson
What comfort item from home will you miss the most?
- Claire: Larry Jinks
- Peggy: Kenny's cooking and my bed
The Amazing Race 2
|Peggy & Claire's Race History|
|1||1||United States → Brazil||Mountain / Beach||No Roadblock||10 of 11|
|2||2||Brazil||Freak Out / Seek Out||Claire||8 of 10|
|3||3||Brazil → South Africa||Did not perform||9 of 9|||
By the time Peggy & Claire got to the Robben Island prison, they were too far behind the other teams and were ordered to go directly to the Pit Stop.
- Peggy & Claire are the first all-female team to be the oldest team of the season.
- Oldest all-female team to race, at an age average of 64.
- First team asked to skip task(s) and ordered to go directly to the Pit Stop.
- First team to be eliminated in South Africa.
- Katherine Morris at Sierra Sun (03/06/2002): "Gutsy grandmas: Locals compete on CBS TV's Amazing Race 2"
- Susan Skorupa at Reno Gazette-Journal (04/05/2002): "Review in TV"
Social Media Profiles
- Peggy's Facebook: /peggy.kuhn.35
- Claire's Facebook: /claire.jinks
|The Amazing Race 2 Teams|