Samantha "Sam" Schoers and Renae Wauhop are a team of Models on The Amazing Race Australia 1.
While on the surface they looked like a couple of Dumb Blondes, they immediately proved that wrong by winning the first leg. While their raw numbers make them look like an average team who managed to worm their way into the Final 3, they were much better than their finishing average indicates, several times getting ahead, only to hit a wall when faced with yet another brute force task that put them at a disadvantage against the strong male teams. Their resilient natures got them to the Final 3, where their luck finally ran out on the Ferris wheel task, preventing them from making the same flight as the other two teams back to Australia. Though they would pass up Jeff & Luke at the next luck task, Tyler & Nathan’s lead proved to be too much, and they wound up 2nd.
They've got the looks and they won't be afraid to use it to their advantage. But do these glamazons have the brains to match?
"People will look at us and go, 'They're these blonde models and they don't know anything,' but they don't know our background, how intelligent we are and our levels of fitness as well," says 22-year-old Sam.
Sam and Renae both model part-time, while Sam's also a VIP host at Perth's Burswood Casino. Renae works in hospitality and does maintenance work for a ute hire company and is capable of fixing a truck – hardly typical of someone who was runner-up in Miss Universe Australia 2010.
"I'm definitely the tomboy in this partnership," admits Renae.
They've been best friends since they met in a bar four years ago, and like to train and hang out at the beach together.
"Sam is more serious and I'm very laid back. But we complement each other," says Renae.
While Renae only rates her knowledge of geography a one out of 10, she is quick to point out she knows "everywhere in Australia though, just nowhere outside of Australia".
Sam brings her own unique experiences to the race as a former flight attendant, so she's more than prepared for the long flights ahead.
But these determined young women know they need to have a serious game plan if they're in with a chance to win the race. Sam says they've already decided that Renae will be responsible for driving, navigating and strength challenges, while Sam is the team leader and best with challenges involving eating or heights.
The girls have also discussed how they'll handle the stress the race could place on their friendship.
"We're kidding ourselves if we think we're not going to fight," says Renae. "Everyone cracks under pressure but they don't always mean what they say."
Sam has also mentioned how much she will miss her boyfriend Brad.S. "its going to be hard to be away from him for so long but we will manage."
The Amazing Race Australia 1
|Sam & Renae's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||Australia → Indonesia||Cash / Carry||Renae||1 of 11|
|2||2||Indonesia → Vietnam||Carry Fowl / Carabao||Sam||5 of 11|
|3||3||Vietnam → Hong Kong → Macau||Lion Dance / Kung Fu Stance||Sam||8 of 10ϵ|||
|4||4||Macau → South Africa||Smash / Bash||Sam||5 of 9|
|5||5||South Africa||Guns / Rosé||Renae||6 of 8|
|6||6||South Africa → The Netherlands → Czech Republic||Chivalry / Delivery||Renae||6 of 7|
|7||7||Czech Republic||Stack Up / Stack In||Sam||4 of 6|||
|8||8||Czech Republic → Poland||Herd / Hoe Down||Renae||3 of 6|
|9||9||Poland → Israel||Find Unseen / Make 13||Renae||4 of 5|
|10||10||Israel||Pilgrim's Trail / Holy Grail||Sam||4 of 4|
|11||11||Israel → Sri Lanka||Count / Carry||Renae||1 of 4|||
|12||12||Sri Lanka → Singapore → Australia||Dare / Stair||Sam||2 of 3|
- In 2016, Renae entered a relationship with Travis Taylor. The couple would eventually marry in 2019.
- In 2019, Sam competed on the fourth season of the Network Ten incarnation of Australian Survivor. Sam was voted out on Day 16 in 18th Place.
- Sam & Renae are the first all-female team to have nullified Marked for Elimination penalty by finishing first and are one of three overall.
- First team to win a leg.
- First team to win the Express Pass and subsequently use to the Express to bypass a task.
- The only all-female team to win more than one leg.
- First team to win a leg after receiving a time penalty which did not affect their placement.
- First team to qualify for the final leg.
- First all-female team to cross the Finish Line.
- Highest finish for an all-female team, 2nd place.
Social Media Profiles
- Sam's Facebook: /samantha.schoers
- Renae's Facebook: /renae.wauhop
- ↑ https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/confidential/perth-confidential-bust-ups-and-hook-ups-the-best-of-2016-ng-190cc27276254e7227e51c4131db51f1
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156430562888043
- ↑ https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a190719xqvft/australian-survivor-2019-heres-your-full-list-of-champions-and-contenders-20190721
- ↑ https://survivor.fandom.com/wiki/Sam_Schoers
|The Amazing Race Australia 1 Teams|