In Season 3, Ian carried a domineering attitude and was grumpy with his wife for almost the entire season, much of that due to him going through withdrawal from cigarettes. The two of them were severely underestimated after escaping elimination through a few lucky breaks at the beginning of the season, but hit their stride after winning the Fast Forward in Marrakesh. They won the two legs leading up the the finale, but fell to 2nd in the final leg when they had trouble finding a cab at the International Fountain.
Their tenacity and huge personalities got them invited back for All Stars. While they started off much better than they had on Season 3, they would end up being caught on the wrong end of the Tanzania flight spread, with their only chance of staying in the Race being to beat Joe & Bill. However, they got left in the dust at the Solve It Detour, and were eliminated in 7th place.
Teri and Ian have been married for 21 years. They met more than 22 years ago when Ian's mom played matchmaker and set them up on a date. As soon as they met, Teri and Ian instantly hit it off and were married a year later.
Currently living in Palm City, Florida, Ian, 50, is a retired police commander and private investigator and Teri, 49, is a homemaker. Both have done quite a bit of traveling over the years and have experienced their share of adventure and frustration on the road. One time in particular, the two were separated while vacationing in Bangkok. As Ian spent the day worrying about his wife's whereabouts, Teri went sightseeing and thoroughly enjoyed herself. Needless to say, Ian was not too happy when they were finally reunited at the end of the day. Says Teri, "He should have had enough faith in me to know that I could take care of myself!" On another vacation in Belize, Ian recalls how Teri saved his life. While scuba diving, Ian became disoriented and Teri saved him from ascending too quickly. Thankfully, Teri was right by his side. "She was totally there when I needed her," he says.
As they prepare to take on this latest challenge, Teri and Ian are hoping to set a good example for their two sons, Brandon, age 10 and Seth, age 16, and Ian's son, Eric, age 24, and are looking forward to adventure, competition, fun and winning the million dollar grand prize!
Teri's birth date is December 31. Ian's birth date is February 5.
How would you describe your previous travel experience?
What is the most stressful aspect of traveling?
What is the most important item in your backpack, and why?
Why did you want to be on THE AMAZING RACE?
Have you and your partner traveled together before? If so, what was it like?
What do you fear most about competing in THE AMAZING RACE?
What strengths and weaknesses do you bring to the Team?
What strengths and weaknesses does your teammate bring to the Team?
What will you miss the most from home (besides your bed)?
What languages do you speak?
What destination are you hoping to visit?
What country do you feel best prepared for?
Second place in Season 3 just wasn't good enough for this dynamic duo. Teri and Ian are still the oldest players to ever finish the Amazing Race and they are back to show that they haven't lost a step.
One of the fan favorites from all the seasons of race, Teri and Ian both have fiery personalities and a determination to win.
Married for 25 years with three kids, they were by far one of the most competitive teams to ever race. Both admit that the biggest similarity between them is that they both always think they are right, which can lead to a good amount of healthy bickering.Teri describes herself as fun, interesting and adventurous while Ian describes himself as tenacious, adventurous and candid. Both are very active and enjoy biking and traveling. When asked which team they would model their style of play after, both quickly answer, "Teri and Ian." They are proud of the way they played and aren't looking to make any changes this time around.
The Amazing Race 3
|Teri & Ian's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||United States → Mexico||Wings / Wheels||No Roadblock||9 of 12|
|2||2||Mexico||Man Power / Horse Power||Ian||10 of 11|
|3||3||Mexico → United Kingdom||Punt / Bike||Teri||9 of 10|
|4||4||United Kingdom → Portugal||Old School / New School||Ian||5 of 9|
|5||5||Portugal → Spain → Morocco||Ropes / Slopes||Ian||6 of 8|
|6||6||Morocco||Used Fast Forward||1 of 7►|
|7||7||Morocco → Germany → Austria → Germany||Sled / Skate||Teri||4 of 6|
|8||8||Germany → Switzerland||Count the Money / Run the Numbers||Ian||3 of 5|
|9||9||Switzerland||Extreme Swiss / Very Swiss||Ian||4 of 5|
|10||Switzerland → Malaysia → Singapore||Dry / Wet||Ian||4 of 5|
|10||11||Singapore → Vietnam||Easy Buy / Hard Sell||Ian||1 of 4|
|11||12||Vietnam||Basket Boats / Basket Bikes||Ian||1 of 3|
|13||Vietnam → United States||Quick Drop / Slow Walk||Ian||2 of 3|
The Amazing Race: All-Stars
|Teri & Ian's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||United States → Ecuador||Wrangle It / Recover It||No Roadblock||3 of 11|
|2||2||Ecuador → Chile||By Hand / By Machine||Ian||7 of 10|
|3||3||Chile||Vertical Limit / River Wild||Teri||6 of 9|
|4||4||Chile → Argentina||Navigate It / Sign It||Teri||3 of 8|
|5||5||Argentina → Mozambique||Pamper / Porter||Ian||3 of 7|
|6||6||Mozambique → Tanzania||Solve It / Schlep It||Ian||7 of 7|
- The couple have participated multiple times in Reality Rally which raises funds for Michelle's Place Breast Cancer Resource Center.
- The couple travels extensively and has gone on many cruises together since appearing on the race.
- Only team on Season 3 to not finish in last place for any legs.
- First team who was the oldest team of the season to make it the final leg.
- Oldest team to reach the final three at the time of racing, 49.5 (tied with Ken & Tina)
- Oldest team to finish in 2nd place at the time of racing, 49.5 (tied with Ken & Tina)
- Highest average placing co-ed team with an age average of over 50, 4.83 in All-Stars.
- Lowest team average by a team that never finished in last place for any legs, 4.54 in The Amazing Race 3
- Harry Smith on The Early Show (12/18/2002): "Race Win Amazing For Flo and Zach"
- The Caroline Rhea Show (12/18/2002): "The Final 3 From The Amazing Race 3"
- FansOfRealityTV (12/19/2002): "The Amazing Race: Our Interview with Teri & Ian"
- Susan Schechter at RealityNewsOnline (01/29/2003): "Amazing Race 3 Interview with Teri & Ian"
- Reality Reel Media (07/06/2004): "Exclusive Interview with Teri and Ian - Amazing Race 3"
- Julie Chen on The Early Show (03/26/2007): "Teri & Ian Out of Race"
- Christopher Rocchio at Reality TV World (03/26/2007): "INTERVIEW: Teri and Ian Pollack discuss their Amazing Race journey"
- Eric Goldman at IGN (03/27/2007): "Amazing Race: All-Stars Interview: Teri & Ian"
- Teeuwynn Woodruff on RealityNewsOnline (03/27/2007): "We Wanted to Race"
Social Media Profiles
- Ian's Facebook: /ian.pollack.3
- Teri's Facebook: /teri.s.pollack
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20040803134237/http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race3/teams/bios/teri.shtml
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20040929033147/http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race3/teams/qa/teri.shtml
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20080213014312/http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race11/bios/bio8.shtml
- ↑ http://www.realityrally.com/index.php/home/ripples-of-reality/2-uncategorised/60-ian-a-teri-pollack
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZQm2VR34dA
|The Amazing Race 3 Teams|
|The Amazing Race: All-Stars (2007) Teams|