The World Is Waiting: Go! is the season premiere of The Amazing Race 2.
In a desolate Nevada desert south of the town of Pahrump, host Phil Keoghan explains that while the desert "looks like the very end of the Earth, but in fact is just the beginning", as eleven teams will embark on an adventure for $1 million. Teams are being flown into the desolate desert via helicopter. The first introduced is Blake & Paige, brother and sister from Texas.
- “We're the ultimate team because w know each other well. We know each other's strengths and weaknesses.”— Paige
- “I really don't have a lot of fears. I'll tell you what scares the hell out of me: second place.”— Blake
- “The whole inspiration for this race is that we are doing this for our two boys.”— Norm
- “We're real people, we have real emotions, with real problems, and yet we're still married, still in love, and struggle just like everybody else does.”— Hope
- “We're going on this race because we're absolutely fabulous.”— Oswald
- “We are partners in crime.”— Danny
- “The one thing that I find difficult about this race is traveling coach. It's very different to drink 7-Up after you've drunk champagne.”— Oswald
- “I am not so confident that we will get along on the race, because we fight a lot.”— Tara
- “If we do well together as a team, I quite possibly could see us getting back together.”— Wil
Team number five is Deidre & Hillary, a cautious mother and free-spirited daughter.
- “Even the best mother-daughter relationship is problematic. I'm going to want to do things really, really fast, and my mom is going to want to think things through.”— Hillary
- “I think that we're going to be underestimated. We are going to prove them wrong.”— Deidre
- “I've known this kid since we were in kindergarten.”— Alex
- “I love competition, but I'm planning on kicking everyone's ass.”— Chris
- “I think we've probably got a spiritual advantage. (laughs)'”— Russell
- “We start each day with prayer”— Cyndi
- “We're certainly not going to pray and ask God to hinder anybody else, but we are going to ask him to help us.”— Russell
- “We call ourselves the Gutsy Grannies. We're going on this race because we're doing it for the grannies of the whole world.”— Claire
- “We may not be the youngest, be we are very, very determined.”— Peggy
- “We're kind of best enemies. We barely tolerate each other.”— Gary
- “Gary and I argue a lot, it's sort of our way, but deep down, there's a respect and understanding.”— Dave
- “We're planning on doing everything short of a felony to win this race.”— Gary
Tenth is Mary & Peach, outgoing athlete and her sister, youngest of seven.
- “Mary is always right. Mary's always in control. I do whatever she tells me.”— Peach
- “My sister Peach, she's been catered to and her catering is about to stop.”— Mary
- “I'm going to prove to my sister and my family that I can do this.”— Peach
- “We can look at each other and send a message. I can tell by his facial expressions what he means, what he's thinking.”— Shola
- “I think people are going to expect a lot out of twins. They're gonna expect the best teamwork. So hopefully we don't disappoint.”— Doyin
After explaining the rules, Phil signals the teams to start, and all eleven teams get their first clue out of their bags, being told to fly to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. After landing, they need to find the "big man" waiting for them on Corcovado. Teams can travel on one of three flights, this first of which is Flight 3156 on American Airlines. With only $200 apiece for this leg of the race, all teams scramble for a Ford Explorer in a mad dash to the closest airport.
Upon closer inspection of the clue, the teams figure out that they must go to McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas to catch one the aforementioned first flight, with the second departing two hours after. Blake tells Paige to look for any yellow and red flags as they're driving out of the desert. Meanwhile, Peach worries that, (after seeing other teams going in another direction,) she and Mary are not going the right way, but Mary tells her not to worry.
- “Peach is kind, and that goes a long way and her ability to probably calm me down is a talent because few people can calm me down.”— Mary
Both Shola & Doyin and Peggy comment on the dust flying around as their driving out of the desert.
- “The Gutsy Grannies aren't exactly tough. Be nice if we were tougher. But we are shrewd, and sometimes we're almost fast.”— Claire
After all of the teams find their way out of the desert and into a town, Chris & Alex pull over to quickly ask directions to Las Vegas. Deidre & Hillary and Peggy & Claire pull in behind them in order to hear the local Alex asked directions from, proceeding to follow Chris & Alex after.
- “Was trying to hurry, trying to hurry and not wreck the car, but I don't like to drive fast.”— Peggy
Meanwhile, Tara gives Wil conflicting directions.
- “We've known each other for three and a half years.”— Wil
- “We dated and we got married, but we've been separated for two years now, but we're still friends. We still hang out. We still do stuff together.”— Tara
Hillary turns down Manse, which leads to Las Vegas.
- “My parents got divorced when I was 6 years old and I grew up mainly with my dad for a long time.”— Hillary
- “This race will really change our relationship. This is something that we're going to do together.”— Deidre
Blake & Paige, Peggy & Claire, and Oswald & Danny finally get into Las Vegas.
- “People generally assume we're in a relationship.”— Danny
- “Well, Danny and I, are not a couple, but for all intents and purposes we are married to each other.”— Oswald
Gary & Dave find the McCarran Airport exit.
- “I think the best thing that we can do as a team is to be underestimated. We are, you know, two funny, crazy best friends against the world.”— Dave
After finding parking, several teams are halted by police officers.
- “Fifty yards away from American Airlines, two cops jump in front of us.”— Dave
- “When we get to the airport, security stops everybody. We just had to stand around and wait.”— Norm
- “We were first to arrive to the airport, we beat everybody there and that didn't matter at all.”— Dave
The first flight is able to hold seven teams, while the second flight departing two hours later carries the last four teams.
- “I think we're actually play off each other pretty well. Our traveling experience helps a bit.”— Wil
- “We found the American Airlines second, so we got on the first flight.”— Blake
- “Hope: We haven't traveled to countries where there is a foreign language.
Norm: So this is going to open the world to us.”
- “Cyndi: He's the muscles and I'll be the brains.
Russell: We're not going to be slower than the other teams, I can promise you that.”
- “I speak Portuguese very well. I played for a soccer team in Brazil for about six months. I should be able to help us out.”— Alex
- “We are sisters, and we care about each other and we love travel. She just doesn't know it yet.”— Mary
- “So much happening, we quite didn't understand what was going on.”— Claire
Gary & Dave finally arrive at the counter, hoping to get tickets. Unfortunately, they barely missed the opportunity to get on the first flight, as they were the eighth team there behind Shola & Doyin.
- “We were one of the last people to get to the counter, so we didn't get any tickets. And now we're two hours and fifteen minutes behind the first plane.”— Dave
The first flight departs, carrying Blake & Paige, Chris & Alex, Cyndi & Russell, Hope & Norm, Mary & Peach, Shola & Doyin, and Tara & Wil.
- “You knew, being on that first American Airlines flight, that you could relax because you were in the top tier, and that was really important.”— Blake
Two hours and 15 minutes later, the second flight departs, carrying Deidre & Hillary, Gary & Dave, Oswald & Danny, and Peggy & Claire.
- “We were concerned getting on the later flight only because we wanted to have a good showing in the race, at least in the first leg.”— Oswald
- “Claire: We didn't get on the first plane.
Peggy: We got on the second plane.
Claire: We get knocked off the first day, I'll die.”
Phil recaps where all of the teams are, and reveals the "big man" on Corcovado is the Cristo Redentor statue. Soon, the first plane lands in Rio de Janeiro at 11:28 A.M, and all seven teams scramble to get to Corcovado.
- “Blake has always been a huge motivator for me and just having him next to me and pushing me forward, I think that will be awesome.”— Paige
- “I'm motivated to do this so I can do a race with my husband, to be able to do the adventures with him and have this fall back on the rest of our life. It's really neat to me.”— Hope
- “We're both ordained ministers, but we're just gonna be who we are. We're real people, too.”— Russell
- “The drive there is really bumpy and around a lot of curves, so Peach got motion sick.”— Mary
At 12:13 P.M, Peach & Mary are the first to find the clue box. The instructions state to travel by ferry to Paquetá Island and kiss the famous tree Fat Maria, a local tradition for good luck. Cyndi & Russel then then find the clue, followed shortly by Blake & Paige. Tara & Wil arrive on Corcovado after, despite a slow taxi driver, and get their next clue.
At the ferry terminal, Cyndi & Russell ask for the boat for Paquetá Island, and are pointed to an empty dock. Meanwhile, Blake & Paige, Chris & Alex, Hope & Norm, Mary & Peach, Shola & Doyin, and Tara & Wil board a ferry heading to the island. Cyndi & Russell decide to wait on the dock, despite there being no boat, nor any other teams.
The second flight arrives in Rio de Janeiro at 1:15 P.M, and the four teams on the flight find their way to a taxi, bracing to the Cristo Redentor statue. On the way to Corcovado, Peggy becomes convinced that they can't keep up with the younger contestants before Claire reassures her otherwise.
- “When you survive breast cancer, you look at life differently, and you don't put anything off. You want to do something, you do it.”— Claire
The boat pulls into the dock where Cyndi & Russell are waiting, and they enter it. Meanwhile, the teams on the larger ferry notice that Cyndi & Russell are missing.
- “As I was sitting there, I watched a speedboat go by, and I thought, oh, we just assumed we had to take the big boat.”— Peach
- “Russell: We didn't even know we were in the faster boat. We thought everybody else was already there.
Cyndi: We thought we missed the mark. It was just God's grace that took us to the pier with the faster boat.”
Back at Corcovado, Peggy & Claire climb up the stairs to the statue.
- “There must be 7,000 stairs to Christ up there.”— Peggy
As the Gutsy Grannies take a moment to rest while reading their clue, Cyndi & Russell arrive on Paquetá Island. They ask a pair of locals where Fat Maria is, and they show the married pastors where to go. After kissing the tree, they get their next clue, informing them to find the Ilha Tours outside of the Lido Hotel, where they need to sign up for boats departing every 45 minutes for the next morning, and the first boat only having enough room for three teams.
The second ferry arrives on Paquetá Island. Tara & Wil take a horse-drawn carriage to Fat Maria, seeing Cyndi & Russell coming back. After grabbing their next clue, they head to the Lido Hotel, with Hope & Norm, Shola & Doyin, and Blake & Paige collect their clues immediately after.
Cyndi & Russell find Ilha Tours after mistakenly going into a restaurant. Tara finds the counter for Ilha Tours, and shouts for Wil as Shola & Doyin, Blake & Paige, and Chris & Alex show up to the counter. Tara attempts to get on the first boat as the other teams go in front of her. Wil and Blake get into an argument as Wil attempts to make his way to the front. Doyin sides with Blake, saying that Wil had left the counter and therefore lost his chance on the 8:00 boat.
Mary & Peach arrive at Ilha Tours, and decide where they're going to be staying that night. Blake & Paige decide to stay on the beach, while Chris & Alex find a small room for the night.
- “We found a little out-of-the-way place and yeah, it was a small room, and we had to stay in a little bed, but that's nothing. We've known each other since we were three years old. We're just a little bigger now.”— Alex
Mary & Peach get into an argument over how to spend their money. Mary wants for them to get something to eat, while they stay on the beach, while Peach wants them to find a room for the night.
The third ferry arrives, carrying Deidre & Hillary, Gary & Dave, and Oswald & Danny. All three teams quickly find Fat Maria and make their way to Ilha Tours.
The final ferry arrives, carrying only Peggy & Claire. They find Fat Maria getting their next clue.
Oswald & Danny find Ilha Tours, getting on the third boat, allowing them to move up in the pack.
- “Oswald: We definitely wanted to get on that third boat. That was really lucky that we got here. When we got here-
Danny: We definitely moved up the ladder.”
Deidre & Hillary sign up for the last boat, realizing they were leaving almost second-to-last team to leave, with only the grandmothers behind them.
Meanwhile, Blake and Wil continue to scrap over Wil attempting to cut in line at Ilha Tours.
- “There's going to be competition between Blake and Wil. Mano a mano.”— Tara
Later that night, several teams are staying on the beach.
- “The other teams look at us and say, "they're cute, they're young, they're not going to be that tough". I think that people will underestimate how much of a competitive force we are in the race.”— Blake
The next morning, teams prepare to leave Paquetá Island.
- “We had a few difficulties with one of the teams. Wil had a problem with Blake.”— Tara
- “Wil kind of gets a little tesy sometimes. You know, that could hurt home in the long run.”— Paige
- “If people are pushing you, then you're going to gave to push them back.”— Tara
Teams must now return to Rio de Janeiro and make there way up to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain by gondola. On the first boat is Blake & Paige, Cyndi & Russell, and Shola & Doyin. The second boat carries Hope & Norm & Tara & Wil. On the third boat are Chris & Alex, Mary & Peach, and Oswald & Danny. The final boat carries Deidre & Hillary, Gary & Dave, and Peggy & Claire.
The first boat arrives, and all three teams make their way to Sugarloaf Mountain by taxi. All three teams get on the gondola.
The second boat arrives, and both teams scramble for a taxi. Tara & Wil decide to call a friend they made on the plane and use the cabbie's cell phone to call her so they can get the most direct route to Sugarloaf Mountain.
Back on Sugarloaf Mountain, Blake & Paige, Cyndi & Russell, and Shola & Doyi find their next clue, a Detour, where they must choose either Mountain or Beach. In Mountain, teams must rappel 590 ft down the face of Sugarloaf Mountain to get their next clue. In Beach, teams must gondola back to the ground and proceed to Ipanema beach to find the woman who inspired the song "The Girl from Ipanema", Heloísa Pinheiro, with only a photo and a specific lifeguard station for reference. Once the woman is found, she will give them their next clue. All three teams decide on Mountain as Tara & Wil arrive at the Sugarloaf Mountian gondola.
After gearing up, Paige is the first to rappel, followed by a surprised Cyndi.
- “I don't know what a rappel is. Do I do forward? Do I do backward? I have no clue.”— Cyndi
Cyndi begins her rappel, and after a shaky start, gets the hang of it.
- “I didn't realize how high the mountain was. I thought, okay, we'll just take this a little at a time, but it kept going.”— Cyndi
Doyin begins his rappel down the mountain.
- “My strategy was not to look down. If I looked down, I'd be finished, absolutely finished. So I just rappelled. I just started right at the rock in front of me, just kept talking to myself, psyching myself up.”— Doyin
Tara & Wil find the Detour, and choose Mountain.
Paige reaches the bottom, allowing Blake to begin his rappel.
- “Paige and I have done a lot of rock climbing and rappelling. Your adrenaline is flowing so much, you're just go, go, go.”— Blake
Cyndi and Doyin finish, allowing their partners to start rappelling. Shortly after, Russell and Shola finish the task as Tara begins her rappel.
Blake & Paige open their next clue, instructing teams to check in at the Pit Stop, the Tocorimé yacht, near Urca beach. They will also need to take a boat to get to the yacht. The brother and sister immediately leave to find a way there, with Cyndi & Russell and Shola & Doyin following suit. Meanwhile, Tara finishes rappelling Sugarloaf Mountain, allowing Wil to start.
- “I was scared going down the rappel. I thought that was like the-, I mean, I'm definitely afraid of heights and that I thought was going to do me in.”— Wil
Both Hope & Norm and Mary & Peach find the Detour clue with Chris & Alex and Oswald & Danny find the clue, all choosing Mountain just as Wil finishes the rappel.
- “There were three teams in front of us when we got to the rappel. We jammed down the rappel, so that caught us up with a few of the teams.”— Tara
Tara & Wil leave the Detour site to head to the Pit Stop. Meanwhile, Blake & Paige who have been running to Urca beach decide to get a taxi, as the location is further than they thought.
- “We were really right up there in the front, and then we just started making mistakes.”— Paige
Tara & Wil decide on taking a bus to the beach.
- “Thus us a race where you can turn a corner and then there will be another team right there, breathing down your throat. We just got a lot of luck flowing our way. Everything was flowing.”— Wil
Tara spots the yacht's yellow and red flag, and the two depart for the bus.
Back at Sugarloaf Mountain, Norm has already completed his part of the rappel, as Hope makes her way down the mountain, making quick work of it.
- “Hope went down that rappel faster, I think, than half the other guys. I mean, she was smoking it.”— Norm
Deidre & Hillary and Gary & Dave arrived at the top of Sugarloaf Mountain, finding the Detour. Both teams choose Mountain.
- “I like to take the harder route and if anything, I'm going to make my mother rappel down this mountain with me.”— Deidre
As Gary begins rappelling down Sugarloaf Mountain, Peggy & Claire find a read the Detour.
- “Peggy: We took one look at that, no way.
Claire: We did not rappel.
Peggy: What's the second thing? If it's eating worms, we would have done it.”
While decide to perform Beach, Tara & Wil find a dock and attempt to flag down a fisherman.
- “Tara and I went down to the dock and flagged a fisherman down. So we're like, okay, well, we need to get a boat. We paid $100, but it was well worth it.”— Wil
After paying the fisherman, Tara and Wil are on their way to the Pit Stop. Close behind, Cyndi & Russell and Shola & Doyin spot the Tocorimé, and attempt to beg for someone to take them over to it. Behind them, Hope & Norm find the docks and attempt to find a water taxi as Blake & Paige arrive.
- “We got to the private yacht entrance, Blake and Paige came, so we pooled our money together and we got on the boat.”— Hope
Blake & Paige and Hope & Norm are on one boat to the Pit Stop, while Cyndi & Russell and Shola & Doyin are on another. Meahwile, Tara & Wil arrive at the Tocorimé, noticing no other teams. After stepping on the mat, Phil announces to the separated couple that, as first team to check in, they won a vacation to Hawaii provided by American Airlines Vacations.
Cyndi & Russell and Shola & Doyin then arrive on the Tocorimé. Cyndi & Russell check in second, while Shola & Doyin check in third. Meanwhile, Gary finishes the rappel at the Mountain Detour while Deidre & Hillary get geared up, with Peggy & Claire making their way to Ipanema beach.
- “One thing I must about Hillary, there was no second-guessing. She was not wishy-washy.”— Deidre
Deidre begins rappelling.
- “She said, "Do you have a problem rappelling down?" I'm like, "No problem". I'll rappel down the face of that mountain.”— Deidre
Hillary watches up to her mom, who has an issue.
- “My cord got kind of tangled up.”— Deidre
Meanwhile, Peggy & Claire are having an issue finding the lifeguard station at Ipanema beach.
- “We're looking for the girl from Ipanema and we're driving up and down. And Claire said, "We should have rappelled. We should have rappelled".”— Peggy
Deidre continues to struggle to rappel.
- “You're thirty, you're hungry, you're tired, but you still have to push on.”— Deidre
Peggy & Claire finally spot the chair Heloísa Pinheiro is in and get their next clue. Meanwhile, Hillary cheers her mother on as she and Deidre finish rappelling.
- “When she got down that mountain, see her face was priceless. At the same time, it was more like, we got to catch up to people.”— Hillary
Both teams get their clue, instructing them to head to the Pit Stop. Back on the Tocorimé, Blake & Paige and Hope & Norm decide to tie at the mat, both teams finishing in fourth. As Deidre & Hillary then get a cab to Urca beach, Gary & Dave attempt to barter for a boat while Peggy & Claire ask a fisherman if they can borrow his. On the Tocorimé, Chris & Alex finish in sixth, as Gary & Dave, Deidre & Hillary, and Peggy & Claire all manage to get transportation there.
Mary & Peach, Oswald & Danny, and Gary & Dave finish in that order. After, Peggy & Claire arrive aboard the Tocorimé, believing to be in last. They are surprised they are actually in tenth.
Finally, Deidre & Hillary arrive on the Tocorimé, where Phil informs them they've been eliminated from the Race, being the last to arrive.
- “Deidre: I may not be so apparent know, but we definitely will both learn from this experience. We were tested. She cheered me on a lot of the way. You know, I cheered her on, too. We definitely have shared something that is so positive.
Hillary: I didn't grow up with my mom. In fact, me and my mom are reuniting after a really, really long time an so I think this trip will definitely change me and my mom's relationship just in the fact that, like, we came this far and we were each other's biggest fans. And I'm going to be even more of her biggest fan and hopefully, she'll be the same with me. And so it was great. It was amazing.
Deidre: This experience, it's just magnificent. This is definitely magnificent.”
Teams drive themselves to McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas and fly to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and find the Christ the Redeemer statue. There are only two flights for the teams. The first flight is American Airlines and can only accommodate 7 teams. The second flight leaves 2 hours and 15 minutes after the first.
From Rio de Janeiro, teams must take a ferry to Paquetá Island and find a big tree known as "Fat Maria" and follow the local custom of kissing the tree for good luck to receive the next clue.
After kissing "Fat Maria", teams must find Ilha Tours at the Lido Hotel and had to sign up for one of four boats returning to the mainland the next morning. Teams then spent the night on the island to wait for their boats, departing the next morning. The first three teams left at 8:00 am, the next two at 8:45 am, three more at 9:30 am, and the last three at 10:15 am. After arriving, they must find the gondola that leads to Sugarloaf Mountain.
Choice A: Mountain
Teams had to rappel 590 ft (180 m) down the face of Sugarloaf Mountain. At the bottom, teams would receive their next clue.
Only Peggy & Claire chose this task.
Choice B: Beach
Teams had to take the gondola back to the ground and proceed to Ipanema beach to find the woman who inspired the song "The Girl from Ipanema", Heloísa Pinheiro, with only a photo and a specific lifeguard station for reference. Once the woman was found, she would give them their next clue.
First Place • Eliminated • Last placer on a Non-Elimination Leg • Season winner • Season 2nd place • Season 3rd place • ► Used the Fast Forward
- This is the first episode to be named after a quote. It was named after host Phil Keoghan's speech to the racers at the Starting Line.
- This premiere aired on a special night, Monday at 10 pm, before moving to its regular timeslot of Wednesdays at 9 pm.
- It had an encore airing four days later on UPN.
- This leg marks the first time The Amazing Race has visited continental South America and the country of Brazil.
- This episode marks the first time that an all-female team is the first team to be eliminated from the race.
- First Episode to have a quote by Phil Keoghan.
|The Amazing Race 2 Episodes|
"The World Is Waiting: Go!" · "Help Me, I'm American!" · "My Alarm Clock Didn't Go Off!" · "This Game Is About Minutes" · "Welcome to the World of Being Human" · "I'm Gonna Take His Girl" · "I'm Gonna Throw Up on Phil's Shoes" · "I'm Not a Miner! No, You're an Idiot!" · "Ready to Lose Our Lives" · "It's Hammer Time" · "Follow That Plane!"