They Don't Call It The Amazing Race for Nothin! is the Season Premiere of The Amazing Race 17.
Teams must fly to London, England, United Kingdom. Teams may only take one of two flights. The first flight, American Airlines, could carry three teams and lands half an hour ahead of the second flight, Virgin Atlantic. Upon arrival, teams must drive themselves to Stonehenge in Amesbury, where they would find their next clue.
Teams must climb a ladder on an exterior wall of Eastnor Castle while peasants standing atop the wall taunt and pour dirty water on them. Once they have scaled the wall, they must retrieve a medieval flag from the battlements. They must then follow a marked path to find coracles, which they must use to cross the castle's moat. If their coracle sinks, teams must return to shore and try again. Once across the moat, teams must bring their flag to a knight in shining armor with the same colors as their flag, who would give the team the next clue.
"Who's ready to go into battle with a knight in shining armor?"
The team member assigned to perform the Roadblock must travel on horseback to a tournament area, where they must use a giant slingshot to launch a watermelon towards a suit of armor standing 50 feet away. Once they knock the armor over, they must find the court jester, who would give teams their next clue.
The Roadblock performers per team are underlined:
First Place • Eliminated • Last placer on a Non-Elimination Leg • Season winner • Season 2nd place • Season 3rd place • ► Used the Fast Forward• ϵ Used the Express Pass• ⊂ User of the first Double U-Turn slot • ⊃ Recipient of the first Double U-Turn slot • ⋐ User of the second Double U-Turn slot • ⋑ Recipient of the second Double U-Turn slot
- This leg marked the first time that the Starting Line in the American version was located outside Southern California since The Amazing Race: All-Stars.
- During Connor & Jonathan's intro, they are shown singing their own version of the Christian hymn, "Amazing Grace", in the style of the reality show.
- This episode marks the first appearance of the Express Pass.
- The episode title is said by Brook Roberts.
- Michael Schneider at Variety (09/07/2010): "The Amazing Races brutal watermelon attack"
- Rhett Allain at Wired.com (09/09/2010): "Watermelon Collusions - OUCH"
- Carla Patton at BuddyTV (09/24/2010): "Watermelon to the Head and 4 More Reasons to Watch The Amazing Race This Season"
- Chris Conation at PopMatters (09/26/2010): "Reviewing Season 17 Premiere"
- Sarah Kickler Kelber at Baltimore Sun (09/27/2010): "TAR Recap: Watermelon TO THE FACE"
- Andy Dehnart at realityblurred (09/27/2010): "Watermelon hits wrong person in the face as Amazing Race 17 gets off to a decent start"
- The Daily Beast (09/27/2010): "The Amazing Race: Watermelon Attack"
- Kayla Webley at TIME.com (12/09/2010): "Top 10 Reality-TV Moments: 5. The Watermelon Incident"
|The Amazing Race 17 Episodes|
"They Don't Call It The Amazing Race for Nothin!" · "A Kiss Saves the Day" · "In Phil We Trust" · "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads" · "Tastes Like a Million Dollars" · "Run, Babushka, Run" · "I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong" · "Ali Baba in a Suit" · "There's a Lot of Nuts and Bullets" · "I Hate Chinese Food" · "I'm Surrounded by Ninjas" · "Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm in a Race"