They Don't Call It The Amazing Race for Nothin! is the Season Premiere of The Amazing Race 17.
Teams must travel to London, England, United Kingdom. Upon arrival at London Heathrow Airport, teams must drive themselves to Stonehenge in Amesbury, where they will search the area for a clue box containing their next clue.
Teams are given a riddle ,"The opposite of Nor'easter", to which they had to solve to reveal their next destination. Once they've figured it out, teams must find Eastnor Castle, where their next clue is waiting.
Teams have to climb a ladder on an exterior wall of the castle while peasants standing atop the wall taunt and pour dirty water on them. Once they've climbed the wall, they have to retrieve a medieval flag and then use a coracle to cross the castle's moat to bring the flag to a knight in shining armor who will give the team the next clue.
The team member assigned to perform the Roadblock had to travel on horseback to a tournament area and use a giant slingshot to launch a watermelon towards a suit of armor standing 50 feet away. Once they knock the armor over, the team has to find a court jester who will give them their next clue.
The Roadblock performers per team are underlined:
First Place • Eliminated • Last placer on a Non-Elimination Leg • Season winner • Season 2nd place • Season 3rd place • ► Used the Fast Forward • ϵ Used the Express Pass• ⊂ User of the first Double U-Turn slot • ⊃ Recipient of the first Double U-Turn slot • ⋐ User of the second Double U-Turn slot • ⋑ Recipient of the second Double U-Turn slot
- This episode marks the first appearance of the Express Pass.
- This episode's title is said by Brook, after Claire was hit in the face with a watermelon.
- The first Starting Line in the US version to take place outside Southern California since The Amazing Race: All-Stars.
- Michael Schneider at Variety (09/07/2010): "The Amazing Races brutal watermelon attack"
- Rhett Allain at Wired.com (09/09/2010): "Watermelon Collusions - OUCH"
- Carla Patton at BuddyTV (09/24/2010): "Watermelon to the Head and 4 More Reasons to Watch The Amazing Race This Season"
- Chris Conation at PopMatters (09/26/2010): "Reviewing Season 17 Premiere"
- Sarah Kickler Kelber at Baltimore Sun (09/27/2010): "TAR Recap: Watermelon TO THE FACE"
- Andy Dehnart at realityblurred (09/27/2010): "Watermelon hits wrong person in the face as Amazing Race 17 gets off to a decent start"
- The Daily Beast (09/27/2010): "The Amazing Race: Watermelon Attack"
- Kayla Webley at TIME.com (12/09/2010): "Top 10 Reality-TV Moments: 5. The Watermelon Incident"
|The Amazing Race 17 Episodes|
"They Don't Call It The Amazing Race for Nothin!" · "A Kiss Saves the Day" · "In Phil We Trust" · "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads" · "Tastes Like a Million Dollars" · "Run, Babushka, Run" · "I Want to Be in the Circus, That's Where I Belong" · "Ali Baba in a Suit" · "There's a Lot of Nuts and Bullets" · "I Hate Chinese Food" · "I'm Surrounded by Ninjas" · "Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm in a Race"