Timothy "Tim" Sweeney and Marie Mazzocchi are a team of Exes on The Amazing Race 23.
Marie made an instant impression with her bullying attitude and her constant yelling at Tim. After winning the double Express Passes, Marie attempted to use the second Pass as bait to get other teams to help them, at times even demanding help from them, which got on the nerves of everyone. However, with all of the fan favorites dropping out so early, her aggressive, no nonsense attitude, combined with the borderline abuse she heaped on Tim, became one of the most entertaining parts of the season. Despite a few rough patches, mostly due to Marie trying brute force her way through the game without listening to Tim's suggestions, they made the Final 3, where they fell behind early at the Supply Drop Roadblock, due to Amy's lucky second drop being a little more on target than Marie's first lucky drop. They would never catch up with Jason & Amy, ending up in 2nd place.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Hometown: Morristown, N.J.
Connection to your teammate: Exes
Current occupation: Sports Marketing
Describe what you do: Work with large brands to extend traditional sports sponsorships online using social and emerging media.
3 words to describe you: Calculated, witty and flirtatious.
Favorite hobbies: Golf, writing and music (I play guitar).
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Was drafted by the Washington Nationals to play professional baseball (2002).
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Jimmy Fallon - funny, talented, light hearted and he's not afraid to laugh at himself.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Mix of Jillian Michaels and Paris Hilton – she's a workout freak, athletic, aggressive, a socialite, likes Chihuahuas, Starbucks and is manipulative.
What scares you most about traveling? Not being able to communicate. Language barriers.
What excites you most about traveling? It makes you smarter, more cultured and getting to experience new places, people, food, etc.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: I would like us to be able to communicate what's best for each other as an "us." Sometimes we lose focus on what's best, to simply be right individually.
Pet peeve about your teammate: Many times she loses perspective, forgets the big picture and becomes obsessed with being right, rather than solving the problem. And she thinks being the loudest makes her right.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Anywhere that I wouldn't normally think to go or want to go. Maybe see the pyramids, drop into a rainforest or secluded island.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Learn how to work together. When we aren't dating everything is amazing, but as soon as we commit and decisions have to be made together, TROUBLE!
Hometown: Morristown, N.J.
Connection to your teammate: Exes
Current occupation: Fitness Trainer
Describe what you do: Kickboxing instructor/personal trainer
3 words to describe you: Impulsive, energetic and impatient.
Favorite hobbies: Going to the gym, watching and playing sports and drawing.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? There isn't one specific thing that stands out to me. I like to go after things where the odds are stacked against you. Victory is a lot sweeter when the challenge is greater.
What famous person reminds you of yourself? Kristin Cavallari - (is she even still famous?) she doesn't care what anyone thinks, does what she wants when she wants.
What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Ryan Lochte, because he's in love with himself.
What scares you most about traveling? Being helpless in an environment where I don't speak the language/cleanliness - I'm a total germaphobe.
What excites you most about traveling? Seeing different places and cultures. I've never been outside the U.S.
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: Neither one of us actually listens to one another - we both just yell at the same time trying to be right and walk away…nothing ever gets resolved.
Pet peeve about your teammate: He always has to be right, even when he knows he's wrong. He justifies anything and creates an argument out of anything and everything.
What country and place would you most like to visit and why? A rainforest and/or any country or place with exotic animals!!
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks?): We both love competition. For us this race is more about winning than money.
The Amazing Race 23
|Tim & Marie's Race History|
|Episode||Leg||Destination(s)|| Detour Choice|
|1||1||United States → Chile||No Detour||Marie||1 of 11|||
|2||2||Chile||Brining / Mining||Marie||8 of 10|
|3||3||Chile → Portugal||Tiles / Miles||Tim||8 of 9|
|4||4||Portugal → Norway||Hang Your Heads / Hammer of the Cods||Tim||5 of 8|
|5||5||Norway → Poland||Pose / Polka||Marie||1 of 8ϵ|||
|6||6||Poland → Austria||Light Brigade / Masquerade||Tim||4 of 7|
|7||7||Austria → United Arab Emirates||Sort It Out / Sew It Up||Marie||4 of 6|
|8||8||United Arab Emirates||Wedding Guests / Beauty Contest||Tim||3 of 6⋐|
|9||9||United Arab Emirates → Indonesia||For the Elephants / For the Birds||Tim||2 of 5|
|10||10||Indonesia||Paint Your Partner / Turn Over a New Leaf||Marie||2 of 4|
|11||11||Indonesia → Japan||Knock It Down / Call It Up||Marie||1 of 4|
|12||Japan → United States||No Detour||Marie||2 of 3|
- During Leg 5 in season 23, Tim & Marie are the only team to check-in at the pitstop without a costume since they used the Express Pass to bypass the Detour (in which the costumes the teams wore during their finished Detour would have to kept worn until the end of the Leg).
- Tim's Wikipedia page: Tim Sweeney (baseball)
- David Hinckley at New York Daily News (09/30/2013): "Alpha exes' recouple their efforts as they go for glory on The Amazing Race"
- Joyce Eng at TV Guide Online (12/10/2013): "The Final Leg Layout Was Frustrating"
- Gina Scarpa at Reality Wanted (12/10/2013): "The Amazing Race 23: Exclusive Interview with Tim Sweeney and Marie Mazzocchi"
- Elizabeth Kwiatkowski at Reality TV World (12/10/2013): "Exclusive - The Amazing Race's Timothy Sweeney and Marie 'Reebs' Mazzocchi talk" [Parts 1 & 2]
- Daniel Fienberg at HitFix.com (12/12/2013): "Bickering exes discuss how they succeeded while shouting"
- Sheri Block at CTV.ca (12/12/2013): "Exes Tim and Marie says not having an emotional relationship helped them excel on Amazing Race"
- W. Scott Giglio at Inside.FDU.edu (Winter 2013): "Off to the races: a chat with FDU alum and 'The Amazing Race' competitor Marie Mazzocchi"
- Rob Cesternino & Jessica Liese at RHAP (05/12/2014): "Amazing Race 2014: All-Stars Episode 11 Recap with Marie Mazzocchi"
- James Wellington, Jessica Caroll & Justin Nichols on AfterBuzz TV (04/27/2015): "The Amazing Race Season 26 Episode 9 Review with Marie Mazzochi"
Social Media Profiles
- Tim's Facebook: /tksweeney
- Tim's Twitter: @thesweeneyville
- Marie's Facebook: /CKOReebs
- Marie's Twitter: @Reebsicle
- Marie's Instagram: /reebsicle
|The Amazing Race 23 Teams|